Friday, January 26, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 1/26/18
“True beauty is about who you are as a human being, your principles, your moral compass.”  (Ellen DeGeneres)  Ellen gets laughs from the audience when she shows pictures of herself as a teen, but to me, she looks to be typical of that time.   Evidently she had some image problems, but that seems normal, too.  I admire her for what she said to some teens.  “You’re unique.  You’re not supposed to be like everyone else.  Promise to be kind to people, to brush your teeth every day and to floss.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Certainly be kind to everyone❤️====JACK:  ...and, don't forget to floss.

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  Good quote of the day… Ellen turns 60 today… I like her style… stay positive and teach others to be themselves, to be happy, and to be kind!====JACK:  I know that you're nice to people, but do you brush your teeth and floss every day?====Dr J:  ummmmm… brush… YES!====JACK:  "Flossing does about 40% of the work required to remove sticky bacteria, or plaque, from your teeth. Plaque generates acid, which can cause cavities, irritate the gums, and lead to gum disease. ... Floss is the only thing that can really get into that space between the teeth and remove bacteria.====DR J:  "Dr. Ken Hurt is my fav!====JACK:  I have two books (Remarkable Names and Even More Remarkable Names) that David has "dibs on" after I go to Stiff's.  Actual names...Buncha Love, Cigar Stubbs, Shanda Lear, I.C. Shivers...and do remember a student at Albion, named, Doctor, who became a doctor?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  She is also very generous with her money. She helps a lot of different people and she loves animals.====JACK:  At high school reunions I've found that adult classmates aren't always as I remember them in school.  Mostly, adulthood has improved them and, hopefully, me, too.====JUDY:  At my reunion I feel the same way.  However, those people look much older than me.  Did you find the same thing?====JACK:  Yes, some at the last reunion looked their age.  Not until I saw pictures afterward did I realize that I looked the same way.  The passing years will do that to a person .

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I think most of us agree with her assessment of beauty, but the fact remains that in real life, the pretty, handsome, beautiful people tend to get the preferential treatment, and best opportunities. It takes awhile to uncover the inner beauty which is more lasting, and as Ellen says, the truer beauty. Most teens are very self-critical, and standing out as different is almost excruciating! Jan and I were different, being two "identical" people, but we were never shy (that I remember) and basked in the attention!  At class reunions, adults have mellowed, and barriers are down, and it's nice to enjoy visiting with every classmate!! We'll soon have our 70th! :-)====JACK:  I'll bet that all of her "remaining" classmates will mention that "Ellen was a classmate of mine," even though some may never have "given her the time of the day." (That's an expression Aunt Nell would use to describe how some people would ignore others).====OAKS:  I REMEMBER THAT EXPRESSION OF YOUR AUNTS; USED TO BE VERY COMMON!====JACK:  Another Aunt Nell sayings (about someone who thinks they're better than others),,,"Look at him, sitting there like King Tut."====OAKS:  Now that I hadn't heard, and I love it! I remember standing in long lines to see the relics of King Tut  in Chicago, many years ago, with Jan and my families!!====JACK:   Another Aunt Nell.ism...(when she thought I was spending more than I should)..."Who do you think you are, Mr Butternut?"...referring to the rich Butterworth family.====OAKS: HA! Kathy Butterworth was a friend (and is, tho rarely see her except when we have school reunions) and she was never overly impressed with herself or family's money, warm friendly person.






No comments: