Monday, January 08, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 1/8/18
“The first step toward getting somewhere is to decide you’re not going to stay where you are.”  (John Pierpoint Morgan)  “Pierpoint”, as he wished to be called, was one of the great bankers of the early 20th century and was famous for taking over troubled businesses and turning them into successes.  He followed his own advice, as expressed in today’s quote.  If it worked for him, it can work for us, too.  “Nothing ventured; nothing gained.”  Dare to change!!!   ;-)  Jack

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: How boring life would be without change!!!====JACK:  I seem to remember a time...when I was the teacher (or the student) and the class joined in groaning... B-O-R-I-N-G!  It must have been when I was among the students.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I stayed at an Inn n Upstate NY owned by JP Morgan, a descendant of the original....beautiful place.====JACK:  I wonder if that inn would have had a place for people, like Mary and Joseph?====JOHN:  Probably could not have afforded it....might have stayed at Motel Six!====JACK:  Was "the star" shining that night, or had Motel 6 left the light on?====JOHN:  It was a beautiful place....we were on our way to the Berkshire Hills....lovely trip....probably did have stars out that night....The present JP cooked a gourmet dinner for us....I love it out East....spent a summer there St Harvard's Institute of World Affairs....another summer as an intern in Middletown, Conn...with Art Larson...did you know him?....he was really a good guy to work with....

FROM BLAZING OAJS:  Kind of interesting that he used the unusual name "Pierpoint" rather than John, isn't it? More memorable forgood words for the new year too... sure!  ("John" seems more approachable!)  As homespun Dolly Parton once said, "If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one!"  It might take a bit of doing, but it will pay off in contentment and satisfaction...usually!====JACK:  How do most of your friends refer to you?  Marilyn? (probably not)  Mar? (probably, yes...), but is it Mar, as in the candy bar, or Mar, as in the "old gray...)?  BTW, Dolly's real name is, Dolly.  It seems more fitting for her than her middle name, Rebecca.  Did you ever use your middle name?====OAKS:  Our twin names were Marilyn Jean and Janet Eileen, but in Jr.High I tried going by Jean, so we'd be Janet and Jean (an at that time Marilyn was pretty common) but it was too late, my friends and fellow students had known me as Marilyn for too long...:-)  I suppose If I had persevered, it would have worked in a year's time, but I just reverted back to Marilyn! My good (old) friends call me Mar,  but everyone else calls me Marilyn...====JACK:  Pronounced, Mare, I suppose.====OAKS:  Mare, it is, but the old blonde, not grey, mare! :-)

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  “Baby steps baby steps” as long as your moving forward!  It’s s good year to start!====JACK:  Isn't it fun to see a baby take its first steps?  It's also fun (sometimes) to watch a young person the first steps as an adult.====JUDY:  I was thinking of What About Bob.

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:     good words for the new year too...====JACK:  Yep====PAUL:  is that an acronym for You're Extra Peppy?   or You're Eating Pretzels?   or You're Especially Prompt?   just curious...====JACK:  Tell me...You're kidding!  In the b & w cowboy movies, the hero's sidekich would often say, "YEP. instead of. YES.

No comments: