Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 1/31/18
“Cellist Pablo Casals was asked why he continued to practice at age 90.  ‘Because I think I am making progress,’ he replied.”  (Seattle Opera post)  I recall seeing my grandmother, at age 92, reading her Bible with a magnifying glass.  In her last letter to me, she wrote: “Just put your trust in the Lord Jesus.  He will never fail you.”  She and Casals had this in common… “You’re never too old to learn something more.”  I guess it’s time to follow Nannie’s example.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  You have jogged my memory about a trip to hear Casals in Iowa city with Mary Poulter and her father sometime in our high school years. It is good to learn new ideas 💡 every day.====JACK:  Thanks to the internet, new ideas are available at the touch of a key, and music can be recaptured by way of YouTube.  I think I'll listen to some Casals!====SHIRL:  🎻🎻🎻====JACK:  He is good!====SHIRL:  Even after all of these many many years! Some things never change

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Beautiful====JACK:  The quote? or Casals' music? or both?

FROM CZB IN NH:  LOVE this.

FROM CZB IN NH:  Reminds me of you and my dad- always improving, always reinventing, always learning.====JACK:  I remember his love for opera and the time a limo-ride was arranged for your parents to take them to the opera in NYC .

FROM BB IN CHGO:  This one warmed my heart.  I love Casals quote and the happy thoughts of your mom and your Mary.  You’ve been surrounded by some pretty amazing women from my perspective; not forgetting Beth and Jeanne either!====JACK:  Shortly after I received that letter from my grandmother, I officiated at her funeral, together with another grandson who was a Catholic priest.  It was my first funeral as an ordained pastor.  She was one of those who we would classify as "a true believer," in the best sense of the word.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  Amen to that on my birthday today!  I hope I never stop learning useful things and caring about learning more!====JACK:  It may not be Casals, but it's the thought that counts.

CrazyCello Happy Birthday - YouTube

====\JAN: Thank you for my evening laugh!!  Such fun to watch and, actually, I think the playing was grand.

FROM SC IN GL:  Pastor Jack, Thank you for your daily messages. I look forward to them everyday. I am 80 now and decided it was time for me to learn how to use this new computer I bought a year ago. Bless you.====JACK:  It's a whole new world out there when you learn how to use the computer.  One of the first steps is to learn how to Google.  It's also good to know someone who's computer-literate to help with with questions.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We have so many options for life-long learning these days; how fortunate we are! And ways to see and hear again the masters who are no longer performing  or writing, etc. Casals was the ultimate cellist; talk about making an instrument "sing"! Yes, we always have something new to learn, even in "old age"!====JACK:  Life-long learning?  Here's a suggestion...
5-Star Cello Lessons In Springfield, IL ~ Expert Cello teachers    https://takelessons.com ›
Choosing whether to play the violin or cello can be difficult, but this article will help you consider the advantages and disadvantages of each. The violin and cello are two of the most well-known and commonly studied instruments in the string family. Each one is central to the makeup of the orchestra we know today.====OAKS:  HA! After just listening to Casals play THE SWAN, and SONG OF THE BIRDS, I think I'll let the majesty of the Cello go undisturbed by Marilyn! I had to learn to play a simple tune on both the violin (very difficult to get a decent sound!) and the cello, as part of my Music Ed. degree, but believe me, you would not have wanted to hear me render either in public! :-(
====JACK:  So...Cross off that learning option'  What others are there?

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  Your grandmother could have written the anthem we sang on Sunday.  HE NEVER FAILED ME YET.  The theme that came thru all the time was “trust and never doubt, Jesus will always bring you out, He never failed me yet”.  It was a real jazzy number and the congregation erupted when we finished.  It was fun.====JACK:  I'm going to YouTube it.

HE NEVER FAILED ME YET   Words and Music by Robert Ray

I will sing of God’s mercy,
Every day, every hour, He gives me power.
I will sing and give thanks to Thee
For all the dangers, toils and snares
That He has brought me out.
He is my God and I’ll serve Him,
No matter what the test.
Trust and never doubt,
Jesus will surely bring you out,
He never failed me yet.

I will sing of God’s mercy,
Every day, every hour, He gives me power.
I will sing and give thanks to Thee
For all the dangers, toils and snares
That He has brought me out.
He is my God and I’ll serve Him,
No matter what the test.
Trust and never doubt,
Jesus will surely bring you out,
He never failed me yet.

I know God is able to deliver in time of storm.
And I know that He’ll keep you
Safe from all earthly harm.
One day when my weary soul is at rest,
I’m going home to be forever blessed.
Trust and never doubt,
Jesus will surely bring you out,
He never failed me yet.

I will sing of God’s mercy,
Every day, every hour, He gives me power.
I will sing and give thanks to Thee
For all the dangers, toils and snares
That He has brought me out.
He is my God and I’ll serve Him,
No matter what the test.
Trust and never doubt,
Jesus will surely bring you out,
He never failed me yet.

Didn’t my God deliver Moses from King Pharaoh?
And didn’t He cool the fiery furnace
For Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego?
When I think of what my God can do,
He delivered Daniel,
I know He will deliver you.
Trust and never doubt,
Jesus will surely bring you out,
He never failed me yet.

I will sing of God’s mercy,
Every day, every hour, He gives me power.
I will sing and give thanks to Thee
For all the dangers, toils and snares
That He has brought me out.
He is my God and I’ll serve Him,
No matter what the test.
Trust and never doubt,
Jesus will surely bring you out,
He never failed me yet.

FROM JE IN WLSD:  This is so very true. Each Sunday I do the word search in the Sunday News/Free Press and so does my mom. This week’s puzzle was a list of famous chefs. The answer, after finding all the words, or hidden word with remaining letters, was Paul Bocuse.  I said to my husband, who is Paul Bocuse? He said: “He’s the French Chef who created French Nouveau cooking/cuisine and he just died at 90.” He then handed me the New York Times front page article on Mr. Bocuse. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/obituaries/paul-bocuse-dead.html Paul Bocuse said: “You’ve got to beat the drum in life. God is already famous, but that doesn’t stop the preacher from ringing the church bells every morning.”  Rock on, keep moving, do your best. Thank our Lord Jesus for every day we have to make a difference.====JACK:  A pastor friend of mine has a license plate which reads: GOD ROX.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  You had a very wise grandma!  We could all learn from her.
====JACK:  My other grandparents had died before I was born, but I'm glad to have been able to know her.

FROM ANNE McC:  I love my weekly Bible study class.====JACK:  A young boy asked his friend why his grandmother was always reading her Bible.  "I think she's studying for her finals."  Is that why you go to your Bible study class?

 

No comments: