Thursday, December 07, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 12/7/17
“The same boiling water which softens the potato hardens the egg; it’s about what you’re made of, not the circumstances.”  (Unknown)  I never took physics in school, but I know what happens when you boil an egg or a potato, even though I can’t explain it.  I also know that people react differently when they find themselves in “hot water.”  Some grow stronger, and some grow weaker.  I can’t explain it, but I have observed that those who trust in God do better.    ;-)  Jack 

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i find when i trust in god, i do better. hard to go thru life alone! ====JACK:  Often, when I read comments such as yours, a song comes to mind, like..."I must tell Jesus all of my trials; I cannot bear these burdens alone; In my distress He kindly will help me;
He ever loves and cares for His own."  We have something in common, don't we?====LIZ:  we have lots in common!====JACK:  I like the way that you’re not afraid to express yourself…and to learn.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  one more:  the same sun melts ice and bakes clay.    blessings on your day====JACK:  ...and, I'm sure that there are more.  Let me think...

FROM KLM:  Thanks for your great emails.  Enjoy reading them, especially during these trying times in the world and at home in the US.  Best wishes during this holiday season.====JACK:  I try not to let the "immediate" world problems obscure the "timeless" message of Christmas that "God so loved the world that he gave us Jesus" to show the way to a life beyond this life.

FROM GARY:  Good morning Jack,  K and I really enjoyed today's Winning Word. We've all been in hot water and like you, I've observed the same: those who are in the boil do better knowing God will turn down the heat. Blessed Advent.====JACK:  Life sometimes serves eggs, scrambled.

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Excellent WW that’s a keeper ====JACK:  Did you ever say, "Finders keepers, losers weepers?"====RJP:  Many many times you’re bringing back memories from years ago. Also remember cheaters never prosper, and sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me. Sure wish people would think of those sayings today

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Fabulous; I find this one inspiring.  We often see simply inexplicable situations where the outcomes may be due to “what we’re made of”.  For example,  parents with twins (theoretically having the same nature and nurture) may find over time that one twin thrives and actualizes potential yet  the other is despondent, unmotivated,  becomes an addict or suffers some other sad story/outcome.  The notion that while we do not control what happens to us in life but do have a say in how we respond to the challenges is important.  I also appreciate your endnote – people with faith fare better.  I liked reading research that folks recover from illness more quickly when others pray for them – even when they don’t know they are on the receiving end of those prayers!  Thanks for the inspiration.====JACK:  I saw an interesting article this week about the Finnish word, SISU, and how it applies to the Finnish people.  If you see the word on a bumper sticker you know that the driver of the car is probably a Proud Finn.====BB:  I was very fond of a couple of Finnish women at Lakeview Lutheran, Margaret Driver and Berit Koivumaki.  Both exemplified this characteristic as I understand it.  We’d see them – in their 80’s – out waiting for the bus or walking in the freezing cold and snow.  They would not accept a ride.  They’d show up at free concerts in the Cultural Center and other places in the most inclement weather, quietly waiting to hear the music.  Berit’s husband fell from a rooftop and was quadriplegic for some 20 years.  She cared for him in their home with little nursing assistance.  Just an amazing amount of “character” and determination.  Interesting for me to now learn this is a national/cultural concept.  Hmmmm.  She was a blessing to me and I still think of her often though she passed several years ago.

FROM JULIE:  Sounds like a plan!====JACK:   I think that it was motivational speaker, Napoleon Hill, who said:  "Plan your work, and work your plan."  Sounds like a plan.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I believe those who believe do not fear the hot water knowing they are in God’s strong water proof hands.

No comments: