Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 12/5/17
“I always remember an epitaph in a cemetery in Tombstone, Arizona.  It says, ‘Here lies Jack Williams.  He done his damnedest.’  It’s the greatest epitaph a man can have—when he gives everything in him to do the job before him.”  (Harry Truman)  Someone asked me, “Who was your favorite President?”  No hesitation.  It was Harry Truman.  No “spin doctor” for him.  His language was sometimes salty, but a little bit of salt does flavor a meal.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA:  although I have seen several Presidents, the only one I actually met was Harry Truman. My parents and I went to the opening of the Truman Library and went through a reception line to meet him. My mother was in the first violins of the Kansas City Philharmonic (starting in WW II which was her opportunity to get into the formerly all-male organization) and HST (actually H NMI T, as you know) had front-row seats every year just two people away from her. He recognized her and correctly placed from where and was very enthusiastic.
Every year when he was available, he would conduct the Star Spangled Banner as the first piece of the season. Mom said the orchestra didn't actually need any conducting for this and didn't pay much attention to him, but a positive time was had by all.====JACK:  I like Copland's, "Fanfare for the Common Man."  It could have been written to honor President Truman, but in fact it was written in 1942, inspired by a speech, the dawning of the "Century of the Common Man," given by Vice Pres Henry A. Wallace.  I think I'll YouTube the music right now.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  My favorite President is Abe Lincoln.   In my lifetime, it would be Barack Obama.  ( Both Illinois boys!).====JACK:  It's interesting that so many disliked him during his time as President.  I suppose that there were a variety of reasons.  Time has a way of putting things into perspective.====JOHN:  Both were hated by the White Supremacists...for obvious reasons.    JACK:  Even Jesus wasn't popular all of the time.  A congregation was deciding whether to use grape juice or wine for communion.  A "temperance" lady was adamant that it should be grape juice.  Someone reminded her that Jesus once changed water into wine.  She responded, "Yes, and that's one thing I didn't like about him."

FROM JM: Hello and good morning..."when a person gives everything in him/her to do the job before him/her...” this is certainly something to strive for! I think about your Winning Words today from a work perspective, however I know it applies to something deeper, as a complete person, not just when we are at work! From my perspective at work, I often look and observe other people’s performance- giving encouragement and guidance. I realize more and more that I need to include myself in this same manner...being open to learning, encouragement and guidance.  I read your blogs daily and am often touched by what you write and share. I want to thank you for what you do!
Have a great day====JACK: You have captured the reason why I do Winning Words.  My son once said, "Dad needs a boss."  What he meant beyond the typical boss concept was exactly what you said..." I realize more and more that I need to include myself in this same manner...being open to learning, encouragement and guidance."

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  we visited the Truman Library 3 years ago in KC, MO.  it was very impressive!   every kid in America should have to visit such places.  he left office with his ratings in the toilet but we now recall him as one of our greatest.====JACK:  Do you let the polling judge the present, or is it necessary to let time pass before making a proper judgment?====PAUL:  it usually helps to let some matters "simmer" for a while before making a final judgment.  even then,  i don't always get it right:):)

FROM LB:  HI,  This reminds me of an old saying my mom would tell me when I was wishing...
If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.  She wanted me to do something about it instead of just wishing.  Thanks for your thought-provoking words.====JACK:  I wonder if today's parents are giving Winning Words to their children...Words to be recalled years hence?

FROM JUDEE:  Agreed completely!!! I hope this is what my tomb stone says.====JACK:  Writer Dorothy Parker's tombstone read: "Excuse my dust."  Can you come up with something clever, such as that?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Truman and Reagan r my favorites. Truman was my first vote. I like the story after his last term when he was driving with Bess to their home in Missouri...Have u been to the presidential libraries? Trumans librarian was an Augustana graduate Ben Zobrist who married my friend from MHS Donna Anderson. The Reagan library in the Similar Valley is spectacular...I forget the first name of the Augie grad.====JACK:  I've been to the Truman Library.  The Augie grad at the library was a friend of mine from Moline, Niel Johnson.  He also acted as a Truman impersonator at the library, giving lectures, dressed as Truman.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Some of those tombstones are hilarious.  Unfortunately, neither Gary or I can remember them.  I took photos of some of them but they are in one of 26 or so photo boxes.  Our favorite president besides Lincoln of course, is Reagan.====JACK:  Have you ever thought of having a tombstone shaped like an outhouse?

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  The Truman Library in Kansas City is a wondefull facility. Much of it revolves around the War.. Like our current president Harry fooled all the pundits. His approval ratings were dismal but history will rank him very high for his tenure.  Probably the only president in recent history that did not enrich himself financially from the presidency.====JACK:  The Obama Library will be located near  the Museum of Natural History in Chicago.  You will able to visit the two places with only one trip.====RJP:  I have been to many presidential museums and they are all fascinating. Sad that Obama's will mar that beautiful area of the Lake Mi  shoreline.




No comments: