Friday, December 29, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 12/29/17
“Time passes quickly.  It’s almost as though we’re being swept by a current, a current of God’s all-possessing love.”  (Sent by PH)  This quote reminds me of the hymn verse written by Isaac Watts… “Time, like an ever-rolling stream, bears all its sons away.”  People who have river rafted tell how exciting it is to be swept along by rapid and changing currents.  Life’s ride is even more exciting.  Think back and remember.  “Fear not!  I am with you,” said the Lord.    ;-)  Jack

FROM SHALOM JAN:  In the ELW that verse begins, "Time, like an ever-rolling stream, bears all our years away ..."  I like to think of the years rolling along like a stream rather than the bearing away of "sons".  Glad they changed that phrase!!  Which reminds me to say, "Blessings of love, joy and peace in the coming new year!"====JACK:  When I was in seminary (long ago) I remember asking the wife of a classmate if it bothered her that so much of biblical and theological language was male-directed.  She said that she didn't mind it a bit and hadn't given it much thought.  Of course, that was before political correctness came on the scene.  I thought that you'd be interested to know that I was ahead on the curve.  "Bears all it sons, or bears all its years"...a case can be made for each.  Thanks for your friendship and New Year's greeting.===SJ:  I have two sons, and two grandsons, which is more why that phrase bothers me than sexist language, believe me!  At least until I've exited this world I don't want my sons "borne away".I've thought about you and others I know whose spouse or other loved one has crossed over to the fullness of life eternal during this past year.  A very different holiday season without them, I know, no matter what the relationship was.  Thank you for your friendship and your shared wisdom!

FROM PZ:  Another thought inspiring quote. Why does the current seem to pick up speed as we get older? Is it because we feel we have less to look forward to, as we did once when we were young? ====JACK:  The biblical words that the length of life is 3 score years and 10, or if by reason of strength, 4 score years...it seems reasonable to think that the current begins to pick up speed at 40?  I noticed that.  Did you?====PZ:  Now that I've been given the formula, yes, I feel that the current speed just increased tenfold!====JACK:  In retrospect, the 10 years after my retirement were as productive as any other 10 years in my working life.  See what you can look forward to.

FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA:  As Omar Khayyam put it, "The moving hand writes, and having writ, moves on, nor all your pity nor all your wit shall e'er call back a word of it." Freshman year, I took a course in Literary Masterpieces of the Near East, and one of our homework projects was to compare and contrast The Rubaiya with Ecclesiastes.====JACK:  What a great assignment for a freshman college student.  I find new insight every time I go back and read Ecclesiastes.  Somewhere along my educational trail I learned Omar's words, too.

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  Who said that you never step in the same river twice.   It is like time so that where you step might appear the same but everything has moved forward ====JACK:  It was Heraclitus, the Greek philosopher (circa 500 BCF).  He also said that change is the essence of the universe.  And, yet, there are many people who resist the inevitable.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  HA! We signed up to do the River rafting on our overland/Sea cruise of Alaska.  You are swept along alright, and I, taking a front position, was thoroughly doused with ice water, but we all go wet and C-O-L-D!!!  I laughed when we dragged ourselves back to the bus to return to the ship, seeing us all shivering, wet, and exhausted, and quipped, "Did EVER so many pay so much to be so miserable??/!"  And we all had a good laugh, and in fact laughed all the way back to the boat!  Time does sweep along more rapidly every year, so we have to be sure to enjoy the ride, even tho many of us have experienced our loved ones borne "away"...Having my family together for Christmas here, was time to cherish, although like riding the rapids, it can be a bit exhausting! :-) ! Happy  Healthy, Harmonious, New year, Jack, and all your blog readers!! What a blessing to  have WW to ponder and appreciate!!====JACK:  Have you heard the song, "An Empty Place at the Table."   I read some suggestions for those who has lost loved ones during the year.  Set an empty place at the Christmas table...Eat the loved one's favorite meal...Sing their favorite song.  I like what our youngest daughter did.  She went to the cemetery, laid down on the grave site and made a snow angel.====OAKS:  Yes, I know the song; We set a place at the head of the table for Bill, the first couple of years, but as the family grew, John migrated to that spot as the next generation "head" of the family...For Mark we also set an empty chair at our Thanksgiving gathering the first year he was missing, with the extended family.  Loved your daughter's snow angel. An original!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  A very very exciting ride!👍👍👍====JACK:  What's the most exciting ride for you at Disney World?====SHIRL:  I don't do rides I like to walk around the lake at Epcot which goes around the world

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Life goes much faster than a wild river rafting adventure unless you are on the Gauley River in West Virginia. 

No comments: