Friday, December 15, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 12/15/17
“Nobody sees a flower—really—it is so small—it takes time, and we haven’t time—and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time.”  (Georgia O’Keefe)  This quote reminds me of others…”Never give up; some things take time…The greatest gift you can give your kids is time…Healing (of various kinds) takes time…The trouble is, you think you have time…Take it, one day at a time…Time’s a-wasting.”  Each quote gives us something to think about.    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  and now its TIME for me to go back to bed:):)   wish me pleasant dreams...====JACK:  Dream when the day is through  Dream, and they might come true  Things never are as bad as they seem  So dream, dream, dream  Dream  So dream, dream, dream

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Scripture tells us that we will have a litany of experiences with "time".  According to Ecclesiastes 3, "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die; a time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance; a time to keep silence and a time to speak...".  We will be confronted with issues of time, whether we accept it or not.====JACK:  Ecclesiastes 3 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible.  "Everything" has its time...and then we move on.

FROM TRIHARDER:  We went to the Georgia O'Keefe Museum in Santa Fe last year. As I walked into the hall, my eyes were immediately drawn to one of her "provocative" flower painting. She denied that the flower was anything more than a flower. Others disagreed. I have attached my photo. ====JACK:  You piqued my interest (by your response and photo) to read more about O'Keeffe ... such as: "O'Keeffe created many forms of abstract art, including close-ups of flowers, such as the Red Canna paintings, that many found to represent women's genitalia, although O'Keeffe consistently denied that intention. The reputation of the portrayal of women's sexuality was also fueled by explicit and sensuous photographs that were exhibited of O'Keeffe."====TH:  She posed nude for boyfriend, later husband,  Alfred Stoeglitz, European photographer.====JACK:  Nudes are nothing new for artists.  They go with the job.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Especially at our ages when priorities come more into play.  My wife Marilyn goes to the head of that class-for which I am fortunate and from which I try to improve.  I know you to also have those in the proper perspective. ====JACK:  Life's choices always seem to involve priorities...whether aware of them, or not.====ME:  Probably more intuitive at an early age.  Which is why character is so important.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  She’s an extraordinary artist.  We visited her museum by Taos, New Mexico.  One of my favorite photo ops (besides outhouses and grandkids) are flowers.  I make Birthday, get well, all kinds of cards from the photos.  Time goes by so quickly, we don’t really look at them like we should.  God has blessed this world with some miraculous wonders!!====JACK:  I've read that G.O. studied at Chicago's Art Institute.  My sister has a granddaughter who got her degree from that place.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Space x is just going up now I am in Orlando for a few days just enjoy each day! We visited the Georgia o keefe museum in Santa Fe not too long ago====JACK:  From today's responses, it seems as though I'm the only one who hasn't visited that museum.

FROM SA IN WA:  Great quote. The great poets, revered throughout Western civilization, seem harder to find these days, but could be it takes time to see them. A piece of barn board I keep on my desk at work, 11 1/2" x 14" x 3/4" with a post-it-note; 188 years. (the time it took to grow enough to produce a board of that width) as a reminder good things take time. The knot hole was created from a branch when the tree was younger, which broke off, and then covered by the years of growth to the right of the hole. Perfectly straight and, even after 100 years of drying, this board has not 'cupped' but remains perfectly flat as well. It helps me keep life's stressors, deadlines and commitments, in perspective. Thank goodness a few of the magnificent trees, that continue their journey through nature's timeline, are preserved in the National Parks, for all to see, in time.====JACK:  Perhaps the favorite book in my library is Masterpieces of Religious Verse.  I've referred to it often, rather than going online.  There's something good about holding a book in your hands.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I have seen her home in NM—outside of Santa Fe.  Simple lines.  Love her stuff.====JACK:  Her poetry or her art or both?

FROM DL IN DULUTH:  Ah, time! Such a fleeting daily gift. For me the Advent season of 4 weeks is time gift of hope. ====JACK:  Is it just me, or does "Advent" seem less significant to those who aren't in the business of being a pastor?  Just wondering....

FROM JT IN MN:  Time has passed for us....but now we will meet again.  Time is good...let's take time for friends!!












3 comments:

David L. said...

Ah, time! Such a fleeting daily gift. For me the Advent season of 4 weeks is time gift of hope.

David L. said...

Remember? The wedding service and day my dearest and I were married....h, it's coming back!

David L. said...

"Ah"I left out the "A". "Remember to check before sending, guy!"