Thursday, December 14, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 12/14/17
“I remember the time I knew what happiness was.  Let the memory live again.”  (Andrew Lloyd Weber – “Cats”)  This week I came across an article about why we remember and why we forget.  It says that our brain is wired to forget…but not always…that there are reasons to recall.  Someone told me that as she was on the gurney, awaiting cancer surgery, suddenly confirmation  memorization came back to her.  What memories do you want to…“live again?”    ;-) Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  speaking of memories,  Margaret and I were married 49 years ago this very day.   12/14/68   At Immanuel L C in tiny Dunnell, MN, down on the Iowa border.  It was colder than blazes that day.  well below zero with an awful windchill to boot. .  Margaret's pastor died in his sleep 3 weeks before the wedding so i asked a sem prof to come and officiate.  he got lost on the way down from Mpls. and arrived 40 minutes late.  but a classmate of mine just kept playing the organ (all Advent and Christmas music, of course) and all those old farmers thought nothing of starting late.  they got an organ concert out of the deal!  .  and the rest is history as they say... ====JACK:  Thanks for sharing that great memory.

FROM TARMART REV:  I can't remember at this very moment?! Merry Christmas, Jack!!  ====JACK:  A woman describing her aging grandfather..."Grandpa's memory had left us."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Having seen my twin struggle when her memory was erased, due to the stroke, I cherish everything I can remember, but of course, the "good" memories, especially of those we've now lost, are prime!  I often wished I had written down the funny (or amazing) things my kids said or did, because you tend to lose those details in the blur of the past, even though at the time, you were sure you'd remember that!  I've seen "Cats" several times, and read the book that inspired the musical, and think it is incredibly creative!!====JACK:  Do you remember how Bob Hope would close his shows?
Thanks for the memory  Of sentimental verse, nothing in my purse  And chuckles when the preacher said  "For better or for worse"  How lovely it was
Thanks for the memory  Of faults that you forgave, rainbows on a wave  And stockings in the basin when a fellow needs a shave  Thank you, so much
Thanks for the memory  Of tinkly temple bells, alma mater yells  And Cuban rum and towels from the very best hotels  Oh, how lovely it was
Thanks for the memory  Of cushions on the floor  Hash with Dinty Moore  That pair of gay pajamas that you bought and never wore    Say, by the way  Whatever became of those pajamas?
Strictly entre nous  Darling, how are you?  And how are all those little dreams  That never did come true?
Awfully glad I met you  Cheerio and tootle-loo  Thank you  Thank you so much
====OAKS:  I never saw those words to that tune, but really enjoyed this!


No comments: