Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Jack’s  Winning Words 11/15/17
“Use your voice for kindness, your ears for compassion, your hands for charity, your mind for truth, and your heart for love.”  (Fredy Paul)  There’s a hymn, “Take my life and let it be consecrated, Lord, to thee.”  It goes on…”Take my hands and feet, lips, silver and gold, intellect, will, heart, love, myself.”  Giving to the needy isn’t “a handout,” as some would describe it.  It’s our opportunity to show kindness by extending God’s hand out to the disadvantaged.     ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good words, old friend.   i may use this as a quote in my sermon this coming Sunday====JACK:  You might want to take a look at Fredy Paul, just for some background for the quote.

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Beautiful====JACK:  "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."  This idea that beauty id subjective was first expressed among Greek thinkers in the 3rd century BCE.  Later on it appears in Shakespeare's writings and in Ben Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanac.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Love these Winning Words!  I think I will write them down and cross stitch them!    Is this hymn still in the Lutheran Hymnal?  They removed a bunch of my favorites! ====JACK:  Yes, I think it's in there.  One of the good things about removing "old" favorites is that it provides room for some "new" favorites...and there are several of them.====JUDY:  There’s something very comforting about some of those old hymns.  I love some of the new ones too, but draw comfort from the old ones.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'm not familiar with this person, but love the quote. Wrote it down for future devotional use! Frances Ridley Havergal's hymn "Take My Life" has an interesting story...she was a well-known concert pianist who began o think "applause" might becoming more important to her than her faith, so she prayed about giving up her career, but felt she received the answer, "No, but use your talent for ME". She then focused on religious hymns and was very effective with youth crusades. This particular hymn came about when she was staying in a lodging with six people, and prayed for their conversion before the week was out. When this did happen she was inspired to write, "Take My Life", and in so doing, gave all of her fine jewelry to finance religious charity, keeping only her mother's cameo brooch, which she wears in her photos. Take my silver and my gold" convicted her...That is the story in one of my hymn story books, at least! I hope it's accurate! ====JACK:  I've often thought that the singing of hymns would be more meaningful if we were to know the background as how they came to be.====OAKS:  Sometimes you run across more than one story about a song's origin, and then you don't know quite what to believe!====JACK:  Even if it's only one, you might wonder if it's true or not.  Whatever suits your fancy.

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  Good one!  Have you ever heard of the app called Sprinkle of Jesus? Kiki loves it… she said the messages make her feel good about the world… just like your Winning Words do for me!  https://www.sprinkleofjesus.com/====JACK:  There's some good stuff out there in cyber-space.  You just have to know which keys to punch.

ROM INDY GENIE:  "Two little eyes to look to God. Two little ears to hear His word. Two little feet to walk His way.  Hands to serve him all my days.  One little tongue to speak the truth.  One little heart for Him in youth.  Take them Lord Jesus, let them be.  Always willing, true to Thee."  (I didn't google it so all the lyrics may not be exact!)  I guess I was pretty influenced by Sunday School too:)

No comments: