Monday, October 23, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 10/23/17
“What I know for sure is that what you give comes back to you.”  (Oprah)  I don’t know about you, but robo-calls and direct mail don’t motivate me to give…nor, does trying rev up my guilt complex.  I tend to support charities that work to find cures for diseases that have claimed friends of mine.  I also look for those causes that have lower administrative costs.  Oprah probably got her quote from the Biblical promise: “Give, and it will be given to you.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  you could also add:   It is more blessed to give than to receive.... which seems to come with a built-in blessing:):):)====JACK:  That's a good thought for this time of the year....when most churches are concentrating on "stewardship."

FROM EMT SINGS IN TC:  What do you think about Gardenhire coming to Detroit?  I still think about that little exchange we had when Mother was still alive and I wrote that letter.  Fun memories! ====JACK:  That's not a fun memory for me.  I still think that he could have responded to the request to contact your mom.  But, that's in the past.  Since he's now in Detroit, I may have a chance to ask him to contact her daughter.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  ...Or some may "pay it forward". Either way, it is good (and satisfying) to be a Giver. Though it may not be much, it is a blessing to whomever it goes! Our Tues. to feed the homeless in Springfield falls on Halloween, so we are decorating, wearing costumes to serve, and making it a real party. Hope it lifts a few spirits, in what is usually a pretty dreary life! How blessed I am to have a home, food, and all I NEED!! (And most of my WANTS!)====JACK:  Would it be wrong for someone to dress up as Jesus?====OAKS:  Not in my estimation. My son Mark was a great "Jesus" at cantata time, dark hair, dark eyes, beard...He looked the part! Maybe we could incorporate that into the scheme! :-) Hallow-een indeed!====JACK:  The more I think about it, the more I like it.====OAKS:  WOW! You really did your homework on the costumes! We do have some good costumes, beards, etc. at church, as we did the Last Supper drama several years, and almost all of my Christmas and Easter cantatas  required them! You are amazing in your outreach!! ====JACK:  IMO...Everyone should be dressed as they normally would.  The person, dressed as Jesus, should be just one of the servers.  Someone should video the line to see some of the reactions.  In case you're not up on abbreviations, IMO stands for In My Opinion...On second thought, you probably already know that.====OAKS:  No, I didn't , but good suggestion!! :-)  I think we have a good likeness willing to serves...:-)

No comments: