Friday, October 20, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 10/20/17
“Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.”  (Thomas á Kempis)  If you could change one thing about yourself, what might that be?  Emotional?  Physical?  Emotional Consultant, Robyn Stitt, lists “reduction of aches and pains” as the main change that people want in their lives.  A more attractive body, less guilt and more energy are on the list, too.  Self-change precedes trying to change others.    ;-)  Jack

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  This one requires a lot of thought.  Like Solomon, I would love more wisdom.  Wisdom would help me deal with the things I can control:  weight, health, faith etc etc etc.  and it would help me deal with the things I can't control:  pain, issues and general life.====JACK:  A one-time shortstop for the Chicago White Sox was nicknamed, "Old aches and pains," because he was always complaining about how he felt.  Empathetic people can understand!====JUDY:  Unless someone has suffered constant pain they can't understand.  But it's amazing how you can overcome and live with it, isn't it?  Do you have problem with reoccurring pain from the polio?  My friend Tom Shirley had polio.  He had a "shrivel leg" from it so he walked with a big lump.  But he was a swimmer and did wonderful in swim meets!!====JACK:  I was one of the luckier ones, in that the disease affected only my upper right arm, and there is no pain...only the pain of not being able to have total use of the arm.  The good news...at age 16, polio caused me to rethink my life and had a part in leading me to the ministry as a career.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I don’t tell adults what to do.====JACK:  Sometimes adults need it more than children.  Of course, adults generally have more hearing problems than do children.

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  Love this…. and a great Jack Freed Quote: "Self-change precedes trying to change others.”====JACK:  Sometimes the teacher needs to be the pupil.  Life can be complicated.

FROM LBP:  matthew 7:3-5? Of course the skill needed to remove a plank is likely different than that required to remove a speck. (Another way of saying what works for one might not work for others.)====JACK:  I don't want someone using a hatchet to do surgery on my eye.====LBP:  Me either! In the literal world of eyes... did you hear that my dad now wears safety goggles (mostly) when using the chainsaw since a couple years back he got a stick lodged in his eye? His eye is thankfully fine. In contrast, my great uncle, a barber, lost his eye after getting an infection from a stray piece of hair that landed in his eye. Sticks, twigs, sawdust, hair... hard to know just what the outcome may be.====JACK:  Stuff like that happens more than we might think.  Every nine weeks the doctor injects medicine (after numbing drops) into my eye to control macular degeneration.  I hold the office record for having received the most injections.====LBP:  numbing drops or no, you are one brave guy. I look away from needles. No looking away from one going in your eye! ====JACK:  A friend mine has a saying, when it comes to choosing the lesser of two evils..."It beats a sharp stick in the eye."

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  Today is my 62nd birthday. I am the only me I know how to be. I try to improve each year the me that I am. I will try to accept any aches and pains with grace. I love each day granted!====JACK:  I just read that some of the coolest people have birthdays along with you today...Kim Kardashian, Carrie Fisher, Judge Judy and Lux Interior.

No comments: