Thursday, October 19, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 10/19/17
“It’s easy to sit up and take notice.  What is difficult is getting up and taking action.”  (Honore de Balzac)  Did you know that there’s a punk band, Balzac, named after the famous French author?  And do you recall the accusation in “The Music Man” movie that Marian the Librarian advocated racy books like those written by…Balzac?  Honore’s realistic writing was new for its time.  Hardly anything (realism) is left to the imagination these days.  Ho-hum!    ;-)  Jack

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  You absolutely amaze me in your eclectic approach to human challenges!====JACK:  Have you read anything of Balzac...or listened to the punk band?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Never put the references together!  Very interesting! The statement is very true.  As I sit here and look out my window, I see a trench, dug for the electrical wires for our barn, need to be filled in.  Gary's in California so it's up to me, but I'm having problems getting into gear to get up and do it!!  Balzac knew what he was talking about!!====JACK:  "Get cracking!" brings Balzac up to date...or Todd Beamer's 9/11 unforgettable..."Let's roll!"====JUDY:  Yes sir!!!  Let's roll.  You're more than welcome to come and help!!!  Need my address?😊⛏====JACK:  Thanks for the notice.  Right now I'm REALLY having difficulty getting up and taking action.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  but to kill a mockingbird was just banned in mississippi... ====JACK:  Racism has more lives than a cat,

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  so true… so many people say “I support black people” or “muslims” etc… but often they won’t STAND UP for disenfranchised groups via their vote or their voice. Truth be known, we all do this at some point most likely. I think too often we believe as long as we say “I support…” then we are guilt free.  my two cents ;-) keep writing… I love your messages. They always get my neurons firing!====JACK:  No wonder Eulalie Mackecknie Shinn of River City wanted to ban Balzac.  Realism is often hard to take.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  AH, yes! I portrayed Eulalie McKecknie Shinn in THE MUSIC MAN in Springfield Muni Opera. What a fun part to play, and what a great show....still love it!  Balzac!! Racy indeed, for that time! :-) The WW words today are so true, and the older we get the harder it is to get fired up and get going!! But much easier to settle down with a good book, which in turn may make us "sit up and take notice"!.====JACK:  I liked the way that "Balzac" would roll off of her sneering tongue.  You probably can remember the dialog....and say it, right now!  Paul Ford was the perfect husband for her.


No comments: