Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 10/11/17
“If I am what I have, and I lose what I have, who then am I?”  (Eric Fromm)  The word, xenophobia, is often seen in the news…fearing people who are different.  It’s part of racism, ethnic superiority,  classism.  A children’s song says: “All creatures, great and small, the Lord God made them all.”  Or in the words of Dr. Seuss, “There’s nobody you-er than you.”  Resist the temptation to preen at the expense of others.  Who do you think you are?    ;-)  Jack
www.jackswinningwords.blogspot.com to see my blog

FROM TARMART REV:  Resisting the temptation to "preen" at the expense of others, I am. 0;-) ====JACK:  Jesus described two people praying:  One stood by himself and prayed: "God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers...or like the tax collector over there.  I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get."  But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner." ====REV:  ...beating my breast, in deed, with grateful thanksgiving and praise!

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good words, Jack!  thanks...====JACK:  Jesus said, "My words are not my own.  They come from the Father who sent me."  My "good words" are the words of the people I quote...and the words of the Spirit who often puts them into my mind.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  you know, dr seuss is racist now...====JACK:  If I were placed under the same microscope that was used to examine Dr. Seuss, I know that some signs of racism, classism and superiority would show up.  "God, be merciful to me, a sinner."====LIZ:  no kidding! all of us!!!

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  I don't  think  "All things bright and beautiful"  is necessarily  a children's hymn. Many couples choose  it for their wedding, some for funerals and always at Harvest Festival.  I used it just last week when taking a celebration service for harvest at the home where Angela is a resident.  Of course even people with dementia  can sing it because of childhood memories, sadly no longer for Angela, she no longer speaks.====JACK:  Wikipedia isn't always reliable, but that is where I often get my information.  "The hymn (All Things Bright and Beautiful) was first published in 1848 in Mrs Cecil Alexander's Hymns for Little Children. It consists of a series of stanzas that elaborate upon verses of the Apostles' Creed. The hymn may have been inspired by a verse from Samuel Taylor Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner: 'He prayeth best, who loveth best; All things great and small; For the dear God who loveth us; He made and loveth all.'"  Regardless...It's one of my favorite songs.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  A redeemed Child of God without the garbage!

No comments: