Thursday, September 07, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 9/7/17
“Two great rules of life:  #1 Never tell everything at once.”  (Ken Venturi)  The Optimist Club has a creed which begins, “Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.”  That’s a pretty good rule of life.  So is, “Think, before you act.”  Another suggestion…”Forget about the money (, sort of),”  A man asked Jesus for the most important commandment…”Love God, and love your neighbor as you love yourself.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  What's the second thing????====JACK:  Read the first rule again!

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  one of my sem profs used to tell  us not to tell your congregation everything you know the first month you are there!:):):)====JACK:  Great advice.  For some he might have said..."in the first week."  Have you ever gone into the barrel for a sermon?

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I will go with Jesus' saying....easily the best====JACK:  Sometimes people will substitute other names for Jesus.  I remember hearing...Geez Louise...and, as a kid, I would say (instead of swearing) Jee-Zoo.  You probably never did that.====JOHN:  I still say "Geez-Louise".   Often have wondered from whence it came.    What did poor Louise do to end up being part of a corruption?

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  😉====JACK:  "By George, I think she's got it!"

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  HA! Had to think a minute on that one! :-)   Harold Pinter (in the Wall Street Journal) observed:"One way  of looking at speech, is to say it is a constant stratagem to cover nakedness"....that gives one something to think about too! Ahem! So Think before you speak?! ====JACK:  Rule #2...Don't try to put something over on Marilyn!

FROM KF:  My favorite "rule".......Think before you speak (or text : ))====JACK:  ...or, before you press, Send!  I've broken that rule a few times.  Noooooo!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  What wonderful creed.  Today, and half the time I could never live up to that statement.  We've had a very traumatic year and I sink into despair.  I know my God is with me and that keeps me strong but not strong enough that I can handle life by myself.  We keep plugging along knowing things ARE in God's hands and we will overcome this life for an eternally "happily ever after!"====JACK:  "Yea, though I walk through the valleys...thou art with me...to comfort me."


No comments: