Friday, August 25, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 8/25/17
“Once to every man and nation comes the moment to decide.”  (James Russell Lowell) These words, written just before the Civil War, took on new meaning 50 years later when a group of politicians decided to cross party lines to end government corruption.  Enough was enough; they wanted good government.  They were called the “Goo Goo guys.”  It seems that every generation has its moments to decide…and “there standeth God keeping watch,” writes the poet.    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  Jack, wasn't this poem also set to music and appeared in one of our Lutheran hymnals??  but i can't find it anywhere.  what was its title, if i am correct in stating that is was set to music?====JACK:  It appeared in the Lutheran Service Book and Hymnal, used, prior to the green book which was used prior to the current cranberry Lutheran Book of Worship.  We often sang..."Once to Every Man and Nation."====PAUL:  found it!  Lutheran Service Book and Hymnal,  page 547.  i KNEW we had sung it before.  its not in the LBW or the new ELW.   and so it goes...   thanks for the info.

FROM CZB:  Did you read the mayor of New Orleans speech about bringing down confederate statues? Wow, that makes you think. I need to find out what my dad, the civil war history buff, thinks of taking them down.  Interesting times of social consciousness.  It's good, even if it is difficult. ====JACK:  Statues don't bother me as much as does tacit racism which is brought into the open by demagoguery.  I went to the Dream Cruise in Michigan recently.  It was noticeable that there were only American flags flying.  In previous years there had been a presence of some Confederate flags.

FROM TARMART REV:  "Go, Goo Goo guys, once again!! Even so, come quickly!!JACK:  Do you know the song, "Barney Google, With The Goo, Goo, Googley Eyes?"====REV:  I don't . . . too sheltered of a life!====JACK:  You're too young.  The song came out in 1923.  One verse went...
"Barney Google, with the goo-goo-goo-ga-ly eyes.    Barney Google tried to enter paradise.  When Saint Peter saw his face, he said, "Go to the other place".  Barney Google, with the goo-goo-goo-ga-ly eyes."

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Sounds like what we are facing today.====JACK:  If so, who will be the Goo Goo Guys/Gals?====RS:  That is the question, isn't it.  Bernie Sanders comes to mind.  Not our current POTUS.====JACK:  I'm afraid that Sanders doesn't have the reputation of being a uniter.  I heard Franken's name mentioned today, but I think it might have to be someone from the GOP side, someone with "guts."

FROM JP:  I remember that hymn from one of the old hymnals.  It was always one of my favorites, for whatever reason.  I don't think it's been in any of the new books.  Too bad!====JACK:  When new hymnals are published it must be difficult to choose which new ones to include and which old ones to omit.  I agree that "Once to Every Man and Nation" is one that should not have been omitted.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  God is watching!  Is he shaking his head in amusement, amazement or anger?!?  I wonder.====JACK:  I'm careful about trying to guess what God is thinking..  "Who has known the mind of the Lord, as to try and instruct him?"  (1 Corinthians 2:16)

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  This was Bill's absolute favorite hymn...our congregation sang it at least once a year, probably more, on election years! :-) It is still in our current hymnbook, new just 4 years ago (The Worship Hymnal, Lifeway Christian Resources).  I wish a group of  politicians would again have the guts to cross party lines, and get SOMETHING accomplished!! As Susan Decuir stated, "Sometimes our only means of transportation is a Leap of Faith!"  Quoting the hymn: "Tho the cause of Evil prosper, Yet the Truth alone, is strong;  Tho her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong; Still that Scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown Standeth God within the shadows , keeping watch above His own!" Amen and Amen!====JACK:  I knew that I'd hear from you on this one, because I remembered how you said that it was Bill's favorite.  Talk about an "old favorite" taking on "new legs."  This is the perfect example.  I only wish that more legislators would put themselves in a position to be influenced by hymns, such as this one.====OAKS:  There are Christians in our House and Senate (Nat'l). I wonder If they are ever influenced by pertinent hymns!  I'm with you dear Jack, in wishing it was so!!====JACK:  I reread my response about legislators and hymns.  I should have first read the words of Jesus....: “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.  Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."

FROM CP IN WI:  I want to tell you I love your "Winning Words".  It's the first thing I look at and read in the morning.====JACK:  You (and others like you) are the reason I try to get WWs out by 5 am, each day.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  We are certainly living thru interesting times!====JACK:  That seems to be an understatement.

No comments: