Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 8/23/17
“I’m jus’ pain covered with skin.”  (John Steinbeck)  I remember reading Steinbeck’s, The Grapes of Wrath, for the first time.  Today’s quote is from that book and describes the plight of poor people during the Great Depression.  Talk about descriptive writing!  Come to think of it, Jesus could be referred to as God, covered with skin.  The life of Jesus, his teachings, are God, the invisible, becoming visible.  Does he even become visible in Steinbeck’s book?    ;-)  Jack

FROM PM:  I haven't read this book since I was a kid. What a description! I think I'll have to check it out from the library.  I'm still greatly enjoying these words of wisdom and pass them along to those they remind me of. Thank you for continuing to take the time to send them each morning. ====JACK:  Some of the pictures of the poor, taken during those days, helped reinforce the Steinbeck book.  It was a rough life, truly pain covered with skin.

FROM HY YO SILVER:  I've always struggled to comprehend how Christianity is a monotheistic faith with the existence of the Holy Trinity. This makes sense. Thanks for sharing.  Have a good day, my friend.====JACK:  One of the good things about living in West Bloomfield...It allows me to interact with friends who are Jewish...and to learn from each other.

FROM ANNE IN WATERFORD:  Thank you for winning words.  I have re-read Grapes of Wrath. What a time and story!====JACK:  One problem with today's world is that so many people have not gone back to re-read the events of history.

No comments: