Thursday, June 15, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 6/15/17
“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in.”  (John Muir)  The Crazy Tourist lists the 50 Most Beautiful Places in the World.  I wonder if “your” place is one of them?  A calendar, one year, showed 12 beautiful country churches.  The best, to me, was the one where I served as pastor.  In your mind, what makes for a beautiful house of worship?  Oh, and BTW, the C.T. says that Halong Bay in Vietnam is the #1 beautiful place.    ;-)  Jack

FROM LBP:   I look for the sense of community as the "beauty"====JACK:  "Home is where the heart is!" said Pliny the Elder (AD 23-79).

FROM TARMART REV:  ...blooming where I'm presently planted...still working towards a "transplant?!" 0;-)====JACK:  Do you have a favorite among the places you've lived?  the churches you've served?====REV:  Willmar's AG would serve as the welcomed harvest of a lifetime of preparation and fulfillment  . . . Temple Kol Ami and and the WB First AG the most unique experience. (I will always wish I had studied that title more thoroughly . . . if I had, I would most likely have chosen a much shorter and simpler one then that one)====JACK:  From Jeremiah 1...
Now the word of the LORD came to me saying,
     5“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
            And before you were born I consecrated you;
            I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
      6Then I said, “Alas, Lord GOD!
            Behold, I do not know how to speak,
            Because I am a youth.”
      7But the LORD said to me,
            “Do not say, ‘I am a youth,’
            Because everywhere I send you, you shall go,
            And all that I command you, you shall speak.
      8“Do not be afraid of them,
            For I am with you to deliver you,” declares the LORD.
9Then the LORD stretched out His hand and touched my mouth, and the LORD said to me,
            “Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  my best place to worship has always been outside. nature is my temple.====JACK:  Oh, rats!  I thought that you might say, "Shepherd of the Lakes." back in the days when..."====MARY:  it was back in the day of freed. it's not my choice now with the big screen worship. I need simple surroundings. maybe you spoiled me;)====JACK:  I'm not into "big screen" either, but I've learned to adjust...and I can remember and appreciate the good times I've had in ministry...and the great people I've encountered (like you).

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Our Church has beautiful stained glass windows; a huge one as you enter the church, of Jesus, lambs, and "Come Unto Me"...just gorgeous, and in front a cross surrounded by many colors of glass which the sun causes to shine brilliantly, and panels along each side of the sanctuary. It is very worshipful to me, as well as the people who become "church family", floral arrangements, and inspirational banners.  I definitely need beauty as well as bread, it feeds my soul.  Outdoor worship venues certainly  inspire as well, communing with nature !  We have been so blessed in America not to sustain horrible damage with warfare and bombs, (aside from the Trade Center, and 9/11..) as many other countries have had to deal with...beauty torn asunder! So Sad! So many priceless treasures lost forever.  How gratifying to have your country church featured among 12 beautiful ones!  Where was it located? The well maintained, rural churches are always picturesque, when you drive by them!====JACK:  The country church was like many people...plain, but beautiful in its simplicity.====OAKS:  Beautiful indeed! Sadly many of these (and even city) churches are being dissolved. Our  "big" church is struggling,  too! Complete change of neighborhood, in the 40+ yrs. I've been there...

FROM SUNSHINE:  Jack, good to hear about your "best" church. Joanna and I appreciate your "Winning Words" even though  we don't participate in the blog.====JACK:  You're participating now!  I am also proud of the Grayslake church that you designed.  As you know, it was named one of the outstanding small churches built that year.  I'm sorry that the congregation was not able to follow the master plan.  Oh, well.  The design is in my mind.

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  ;Should this be added  to Luther"s  explanation of  "daily bread"? ====JACK:  If I happen to see him, I'll let him know of your suggestion.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Probably the Chapel at Hartwick Pines.  I love it!

No comments: