Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 5/23/17
“Never wrestle with pigs.  You both get dirty, and the pigs like it.”  (George Bernard Shaw)  A man that I know would always greet me by asking, “What is justice?”  I soon learned to change the subject, because he loved to debate…and I don’t.  I try not to get involved with internet back and forth about politics…or even religion.  Edgar Guest was right when he wrote, “I’d rather see a sermon than hear one any day.”  Don’t tell me!  Show me!    ;-)  Jack

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Appropriate.  May have to read something by him.
My girl friend/wife finally has me reading more.  In Barcelona (where everyone wants to talk politics-and architecture unique-Gaudi influence) for what will likely be my final firm sponsored Book meeting and trip as I formally retire June 30.  In reality I have been retired for 12 years.
May not be your cup of tea but recently read (listened on tape) Bold by Peter Diamantas (sp?) and was very eye opening for me.  Not a page turner and repetitive but made me realize how out of date I am.  It is about exponential innovation/crowd sourcing and funding in our digital world and does not even mention IP until the penultimate chapter.  Lots of "start up" buzz words like exponential, transformative, disruptive and ubiquitous.  Sorry-got carried away.====JACK:  I'll have to look up, Bold.  BTW, while you're in the mood for reading, Rob Bell's, "What We Talk About When We Talk About God" is a good one.  Say, "PLEASE," and I'll send you a copy.

FROM DEACON ROBERT:  Wow....  That is powerful - "I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day"!====JACK:  Think of that "see a sermon" the next time you're preaching.  In fact, it would be a good topic for a sermon.  You can Google Edgar Guest's poem.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Jesus did both....show and tell....good example to follow====JACK:  I liked the Jesus healing stories where he washed the eyes of the blind man with mud and put his fingers in the ears of the deaf man.  He showed them what he was going to do.====JOHN:  It made him an earthier (is there such a word?) being.    I think it helps us relate to him.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  I love the pigs quote...bravo!!====JACK:  I love a discussion when we can listen and learn from each other rather than one where one is trying to prove the other wrong.

FROM KITTY:  One of my favorites. I dislike debating. Love waking up to your thoughts ====JACK:  A reply such as yours is one reason why I get up each day 4:30.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It's interesting how some people love to debate. I don't mind a good debate if it's between two people who will listen.  Not to change their minds but to be respectful.  That's extremely rare.  Live Edgar Guest!====JACK:  Too many "debates" turn into the election cycle debates on TV, which are not really debates.

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  I first heard a version of that st work in the 60s . I've believed it ever since. Worth pay attention to when people try to start arguments. The part I had not heard was that the pigs like it. I wish I'd. Heard that 60 years ago. It explains a lot.====JACK:  I think that GBS could hold his own in any wrestling match using words.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  this surprises me about you.====JACK:  If you only knew....  Yesterday it was said of me.  "He has an iron fist, covered with a velvet glove."====LIZ:  that is more as i imagine you!

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Yer right. I never discussed religion or politics  in business. You cannot  win! Never start an argument at the top of the stairs.====JACK:  Those of us in the sales business know the truth of the statement, "The customer is always right."  (Up to a point!)  J.C. Penney demanded that his employees use "the Golden Rule" when waiting on customers.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Reminds me of the saying by Mark Twain:"Never argue with an idiot, because bystanders don't know who the idiot is!" :-)  Shaw was a master of the succinct observation!  Wrote it down to  remember...Thanks!====JACK:  There was only once (that I can remember) when I suggested to someone that they begin searching for a new church.  They did, and they found one.  After a while they left that one, too.



1 comment:

daz said...

I first heard a version of that st work in the 60s . I've believed it ever since. Worth pay attention to when people try to start arguments. The part I had not heard was that the pigs like it. I wish I'd. Heard that 60 years ago. It explains a lot.