Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 1/4/17
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”  (Charles Dickens)  I read recently that loneliness is as much of a health risk as obesity and smoking.  Holidays seem to make loneliness even worse.  Perhaps you know of someone who could be cheered by a call or a letter.  Why not act on that urge to “get in touch?”  The Blues Brothers or The Stones, I like the song, “Everybody Needs Somebody.”  The tune is catchy; the title is even better.    ;-)  Jack

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  I like that song too, and I  also like the hymn   "When I  needed a neighbour were you there, were you there.  When I needed a neighbour were you there.   And the creed and the colour and the name won't  matter, were you there?"====JACK:  Today, you introduced me to Sydney Carter (When I needed etc).  I'm going to suggest to our pastor that we sing it some Sunday at Holy Spirit.  I was interested to learn, also, that he wrote, "Lord of the Dance," another favorite of mine.====BS:  Lord of the Dance is a big favourite  at weddings these days. ====JACK:  I wonder if Jesus ever danced?====BS:  I think he did, and laughed and sang.  We know he enjoyed friends, fish barbecues on the beach and wine!====JACK:  Do you mean that he was human?

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  song of the day.  i liked both versions of the song!  happy new year!
 ====JACK:  BS in England refers to another song that you might like to hear (and sing)...When I Needed a Neighbour".  YouTube it.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We all need somebody, sometime, don't we?  I make calls to shutins, and nursing home patients from my church, and they are so glad to see someone and chat for awhile. As one 93 yr. old lady put it, "Everyday's the same here, holiday, or no; If you can't get out, you see the same scenery, the same staff, etc day after day. A card or visit definitely brightens their days ! ====JACK:  Do you ever sing a little song for someone?  I'm sure that they'd like that.  If it were "What a Friend," they'd probably sing along with you.====OAKS:  a 97 yr old man that I take communion to in the nursing home is blind and almost deaf but I found he'll sing along with me on hymns, and he knows them by heart...The Old Rugged Cross, Just as I am, Make me a blessing, etc. So that has been a way to communicate with him! A great old guy, very devout.====JACK:  I remember calling on a very old lady who always wanted me to tell the story of the rich man and Lazarus...time after time after time...and I'd do it.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Great idea.  Will do it today!====JACK:  A card with a handwritten note is something that a "lonely" person can enjoy reading, day after day.  Including a poem or a prayer makes it even more special.====JUDY:  One of my hobbies is making cards.  I love to send homemade cards and sentiments.  Cards can be made to match the person....my sister lives in the U.P. and she loves flowers.  My grandson loves trains.  It's easy to make special cards for friends and family!!!

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Give me Barbra Streisand and "People."====JACK:  Yes, that's a good one, too...although not as bouncy sd the Blues Brothers or Stones.



No comments: