Thursday, January 12, 2017

Jack’s Winning Words 1/12/17
“Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.”  (Dr. Seuss)  Theodore Geisel died in 1991, but I’m still learning from Dr. Seuss…like, “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”  Or, “Don’t cry because it’s over.  Smile because it happened.”  Or, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It’s not.”  What memorable sayings do you have from Dr. Seuss?    ;-)  Jack

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Is this an allusion to the Obama era!?====JACK:  It could be.  Time will tell.  Sometimes we live so close to "history" that we don't appreciate it.

FROM MP IN MICHIGAN:  A line from the movie "Cat in the Hat": "Go have no fun somewhere else"====JACK:  In the beginning the writings of Geisel were not appreciated, so he began signing his work: Dr, Seuss.  Everyone doesn't have the same "funny bone."

FROM TARMART REV:  Not from the good doctor, but "Cheer up, things could be worse!" And they were.====JACK:  I choose to live on the "sunny side" of the street.  Things appear much brighter there.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  One of my favorite themes of Dr. Seuss was The Sneeches.  Some had "stars on thars" (stars on their bellies).  The book showed how quickly we can let small differences become matters of animosity and put-downs or, in other words, a matter of superiority.  I have done a sermon series based on "O, the Places You'll Go" which has been a favorite graduation gift book to many a high school grad, too.  Blessings to you this day!====JACK:  It's been said of those who magnify small differences..."They major in minors."

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  one fish, two fish  red fish, blue fish  the first book i recall reading. dr seuss was brilliant!====JACK:  I discovered the good doctor later in life.  Robert Louis Stevenson wrote for my childhood.

FROM KANSAN DON:  I have a Seuss book on my shelf:  “You’re Only Old Once!” — given to my Dad on his 90th birthday (1995) by one of my confirmands in Bemidji.====JACK:  Books have the magical power to turn us into children again.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  There are no memorable sayings that I remember. What I do remember is reading all of his books over and over again. My memories are of LaJolla,CA where his museum is now located.  Shirley Peterson and I went to La Jolla by train in the summer of 1946.  How beautiful it was and still is. We were visiting a friend of mine who had married the Marine recruiter in Moline after the war.  It was all great fun.  Also in Safety Harbor, a little town near Tampa, there is a little art venue which has had a Dr, Seuss exhibit pretty often. Thanks for the memories.====JACK:  Through the magic of Google, I plan to visit that California museum...and maybe Safety Harbor, too.

No comments: