Thursday, December 08, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 12/8/16
“Success is meaningless if you can’t sleep at night.”  (Margaret Cho)  Cho is a successful comedienne,  (I like her.) but evidently she has trouble getting a good night’s sleep…like almost 50% of Americans.  Here are some sleep suggestions I’ve heard about…Silk PJs, white noise, no broccoli (or chocolate) before bedtime, some yoga.  It’s said that prayer helps, too.  “Count your blessings instead of sheep” is not just a song.  It does help.  What works for you?    ;-)  Jack  

FROM TL IN MICHIGAN:  Jack, thanks for the great gift ideas for Susan!====JACK:  She might like some ear plugs, too.

FROM TARMART REV:  Listening to on-line sermons or my Vintage Radio app on my iPod with the old 1940-50's radio drama's until I fall off to sleep.====JACK:  Have you tried listening to some of your own sermons?====REV:  Never liked hearing myself, but surely it would put me to sleep much earlier!!====JACK:  I remember seeing a member sleeping in church while I was preaching.  I almost laughed out loud when his wife poked him in the ribs and he woke up with a jolt.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  lots of good physical exercise during the day.  hard to get sometimes given our highly automated society but manual labor sure helps me to sleep.   even the tread mill is helpful...====JACK:  I have index cards showing about a dozen exercises that I use.  I've been told that exercise in the evening is NOT recommended.====PAUL:  that may be true.  you don't want to get your body all worked up just before going to bed.  on the other hand, I suppose some exercise is better than none at all,  even if it comes in the evening.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I always read in bed for awhile, but if I've had a busy day, I am tired enough to sleep! Hopefully NOT waking up in the wee hours, and having to shut the  busy mind off, and get BACK to sleep! :-(  What a renewal and blessing a good night's sleep is!  I imagine Cho is referring to not having peace of mind or a clear conscience which bars restful sleep...sleep aids like Tylanol P.M., Melatonin, prescription pain pills, etc seem pretty common among my elderly friends. Prayer, definitely helps!====JACK:  "Successful" people, like Margaret, can have the same problems that ordinary people have...except that success is a ladder that never seems to run out of steps.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  4-7-8 breathing technique is amazing!====JACK:  4-7-8?  I haven't heard of it.  I just breath without thinking.


No comments: