Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 9/21/16
“Be brave!  Even if you’re not, pretend to be.”  (Jackson Brown Jr)  I saw this quote beneath a picture of a goldfish wearing a fake shark fin.  Life sometimes puts us in situations where it’s a struggle to be brave.  Last Sunday, I read that music in hospital rooms can lead to a better recovery.  It even benefits surgeons in the O.R.  I like the song, “Precious Lord, take my hand…Through the storm, through the night…Precious Lord, take my hand.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM GS IN SH:    I LOVE it............He held my hand my hand, and still is..........through 9 or 10 months of many operations......thanks====JACK:  I guess when you're flat on your back, you have two choices.  You can close your eyes to the world around you...or you can look up in faith.  May healing continue in you.

FROM DR PH:  Nice. Sittler encouraged that form follows function.====JACK:  I was fortunate to hear Sittler and meet him in person.  Yes, we are what is our reaction to God's grace.  We may not be perfect, but we keep on trying.

FROM KS IN MICHIGAN:  My niece works as a music therapist in hospitals, nursing homes, etc.  and she has some amazing stories that should be shared.====JACK:  A nurse that I know would begin each of her shifts by stopping in at the hospital chapel for a time of prayer.  It would be good if each of us could begin our workday in such a way.====KS:  I sometimes stop in the chapel at St. Joes in Pontiac when visiting family or friends in the hospital….think it is great.

FROM MUSICIAN AP:  Years ago, I heard that song played in a movie and it captured my heart.  It's old-timey, but it's a strong piece of music.====JACK:  I think that it's such a great and moving piece of music, because it was written in response to Thomas Dorsey's real life experience of needing the hand of Jesus.  Was the movie, Selma?====AP:  Oh, I was afraid you would ask. The movie is older than Selma, can't remember the title. Moving piece of music, like Amazing Grace that is still so 'popular' as it comes from such a deep place in a person. Another one is 'Softly and Tenderly, Jesus is Calling' - got me when I heard it in the movie - Trip to Bountiful, with Geraldine Page. I didn't really 'get' the hymn - How Great Thou Art - until I heard Minnesota Lutherans sing it. Wow, did I make a 180 degree shift on that one! We continue to remind ourselves of how powerful music is. Can't see it, can't touch it . . . hmmm, like a few other things in our lives . . . all best thoughts coming your way. ====JACK:  Most hymns have a story behind them.  I've often thought that congregations would appreciate singing hymns if they knew the story behind them...Precious Lord is a perfect example.

FROM MV IN MICHIGAN:  Was that from the song The Pretender?====JACK:  I don't know about that, but I do know that I found something interesting when I googled, The Pretender.  Thanks  ====MV:  What did you find?====JACK:  The lyrics fascinate me.   "The Pretender"
Keep you in the dark
You know they all pretend
Keep you in the dark
And so it all began

Send in your skeletons
Sing as their bones go marching in... again
The need you buried deep
The secrets that you keep are ever ready
Are you ready?
I'm finished making sense
Done pleading ignorance
That whole defense

Spinning infinity, boy
The wheel is spinning me
It's never-ending, never-ending
Same old story

What if I say I'm not like the others?
What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays?
You're the pretender
What if I say I will never surrender?

In time or so I'm told
I'm just another soul for sale... oh, well
The page is out of print
We are not permanent
We're temporary, temporary
Same old story

I'm the voice inside your head
You refuse to hear
I'm the face that you have to face
Mirrored in your stare
I'm what's left, I'm what's right
I'm the enemy
I'm the hand that will take you down
Bring you to your knees

So who are you?
Yeah, who are you?
Yeah, who are you?
Yeah, who are you?

Keep you in the dark
You know they all pretend

What if I say I'm not like the others?
(Keep you in the dark)
What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays?
(You know they all... pretend)
You're the pretender
What if I say I will never surrender?

So who are you?
Yeah, who are you?
Yeah, who are you?
====MV:  This is not the Jackson Browne Pretender. His starts out, “I’m gonna rent myself a house on the edge of the freeway.====JACK:  I listened to the song as the lyrics scrolled.  GOOD!  We are all pretenders, of a sort.

FROM TARMART REV:  . . . "and lead me on!!"====JACK:  To me, it is a plaintive song.  "Lord, I just can't take it anymore; precious  Lord, take my hand."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  One of my favorites is "Be Still and Know" (I think that's the title) if Amy Grant's song.  It brings me peace. ====JACK:  Another hymn with a similar message is Be Still My Soul, set to music by the famous Finnish composer, Jean Sibelius.

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  I love that song too and now, thanks to you, it’s playing in my head this gloomy morning.====JACK:  It was a gloomy day, too, when Thomas Dorsey wrote it...but he needed to write it to help chase the gloom away.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Music is a great soother. The most beautiful song   have ever heard was sung at Mass at a church in La Haina Maui.  The song was How Great  Thou Art, and I remember if vividly to this day.====JACK:  On some days I like to listen to Gregorian chants.  In fact, I think that I'll pull up a CD of chants right now.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:
When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm, there's a golden sky
And the sweet, silver song of a lark
Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on, walk on
With hope in your hearts
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone
Walk on, walk on
With hope in your hearts
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone
====JACK:  I do recall that this song was a favorite of yours.  It's a good one.

FROM CR IN MICHIGAN:  So many times we need to be brave and every time God is there. ====JACK:  "The Lord is my shepherd" could be translated, "The Lord is my shark fin ."

No comments: