Thursday, July 14, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 7/14/16
“I wish you sunshine on your path and storms to season your journey.”  (Robert A. Ward)  I grew up in a home that used pepper, hot mustard and horseradish.  We liked our food seasoned.  My life path was seasoned with some dark clouds, also.  But, time has given me opportunity to reflect and see that the clouds turned out to have a silver lining.  The disciples learned this, too,  during a storm.  In fear they called out to Jesus.  He calmed the storm…and their fears.    ;-)  Jack

FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  Would just like to tell you this morning that you have once again helped me to start my day with a more positive attitude.
Thank you. ====JACK:  Have you ever tried horseradish?  At first, it takes your breath away, your nose tingles...but, in the end, the zest makes it worthwhile.  Such is life with its ups and downs...the zest makes it worthwhile.====CS:   I have begun to add ginger and cayenne pepper to my morning shakes!====JACK: Pepper in my shake would really make me shake.

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  I just found several sermons I gave at Holy Spirit when you went on vacation.  One from 1993 dealt wit fear, how Jesus spoke to overcoming fear and how not to be afraid and how to turn fear into something positive. FEAR ( false expectations appearing real).
 It was fun reading it again.====JACK:  A couple of weeks ago a layperson gave the sermon while the pastor was on vacation.  It was outstanding, as was yours.  The pulpit is not necessarily reserved just for the pastor.====RJP:  I was there.

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  I KNEW you liked horseradish… funny thing is…. I do too now ! ====JACK:  I remember the surprised look on your face when you first tasted the mashed potatoes in which I had secretly put in some horseradish.

FROM TARMART REV:  Very well presented, Jack!!====JACK:  When horseradish is presented at our table it's usually right out of the bottle.  I'm the only one who eats it.====REV: I've added it upon my hot dog more than once, making it much more tasty!!

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  The volunteer secretary at the church where I first served would go home everyday for lunch and eat something with a lot of horseradish on it.  You could smell it all afternoon!  funny the things you recall over the years!====JACK:  We all have our remembrances.  I could write a book....but won't.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My kids and "grands" go for far more "hot" seasoning than this old gal, but what would we do without salt, especially...there is no good substitute!  Yes, hopefully we all will have our share of sunshine, and a few dark clouds to help us appreciate the sunny ones! As Anderson Cooper says in his memoir with  his mother, "The Rainbow Comes and Goes"....Remember that old song, Look For The Silver Lining" (whenever clouds appear in the blue...)  My twin and I used to sing that in our programs so many years ago! :-)====JACK:  ...and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," a song of hope.  Were you the one who said that you heard it sung at a funeral?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  When I was teaching in the 1950's one of  my  favorite quotes was, "America is great because America is good-when America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."====JACK:  It's probably too long to fit on a baseball cap, but I like it.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It's the seasoning in life which gives it spiciness, the tango mess, the sourness and the sweetness.  We know life may have its very sour-or sad times, but in the very end it will be sweeter than we can ever imagine.====JACK:  When I order "Chinese" I usually get sweet and sour chicken or pork.  Speaking of sadness, one of my friends had a funeral service where the hymn, "Almost Persuaded," was sung.====JUDY:  How very sad.  I looked up the words.  I also read how Billy Graham and he was persuaded by this song.

.

No comments: