Thursday, April 28, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 4/28/16
“The greatest ability in business is to get along with others and influence their actions.”  (Alexander Hamilton)  Penney’s dept store was first called, The Golden Rule Store, because each clerk was told to use “The Golden Rule” when waiting on customers.  A new store has opened in our area.  I’ve been in there on several occasions, and every time a clerk has greeted me and asked if I needed help in finding something.  What causes you to return to a store?    ;-)  Jack

FROM OPTILOU:   What new store?====JACK:  ACE Hardware on Walnut Lk Rd near Inkster.  It's my new go-to place.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  To get along with others and be a positive influence in their actions...that seems to be a good rule to follow in all our day to day activities with people.  I return to stores where the personnel indicate they appreciate that you came in, and can provide answers when you have questions about their products.  The big stores these days are so determined to increase profits that they don't have clerks around to give assistance when you need it.====JACK:  I go to a cafe where they call me by name when I come through the door.====RI:  Jack, you are the type of person that everyone who knows you takes pride in having you for a friend.  I frequently look back to those times I shared with you face to face, and the insights I gained from your enlightened nature.  I truly admire you.

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Amen====JACK:  Speaking of Amens, I always made it a point to personally speak to visitors when they showed up at church...or to direct other members to speak to them.

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  When I had our drug stores (Owl Drugs-"We give a hoot about your health!" was our motto)  All our clerks were instructed to ask:  Is there anything that we didn't have that you came in to purchase?  In fact,we even offered to make sure that we'd get them anything they wanted the following day even if I had to buy the product from one of our competitors.====JACK:  I'll bet you were the only drug store that had hooters as clerks?  BTW, when did Owl go out of business in the Detroit area?  Was it merged?  Was your's a Rexall store?  I suppose you knew that the 1 cent sale started in a Rexall store in Detroit.

FROM CPA BOB:  When the staff go out of their way to make things right.====JACK:  We are who we were.  How we were brought up does make a difference.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I seem to return to stores that provide something that meshes with values I hold. Often that might just be because I am trying to support local family businesses and jobs in the community. Some of my favorite tv literary situations are places like floyds barber shop in Andy Griffith or flos restaurant in Alice or such where business and community mesh Maybe then money takes a more rightful pace in the hierarchy of values and human relationships also. ====JACK:  When I served as an interim pastor in Flint, the church president was African American and a barber. I stopped in at his shop for a visit.  It was crowded with lots of talk and laughter, a happy place.  This world would be a better place, if we'd just allow ourselves to have new experiences and meet new people.

FROM TARMART REV:  Sometimes its their popcorn!!====JACK:   The smell of popcorn always gets my attention when I walk into a store that's popping it.  Who has the best...Walmart or Target?====REV:  Target is the only retail I'm aware of outside the salty theater popcorn. We have popular gas station that has it always popped, available and free while getting gas for the car. Both are very good.

FROM DMF IN AV:  I used this quote to lead off a Vincentric meeting today.  Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I seem to return to stores that provide something that meshes with values I hold. Often that might just be because I am trying to support local family businesses and jobs in the community. Some of my favorite tv literary situations are places like floods barbar shop in Andy Griffith or flos restaurant in Alice or such where business and community mesh Maybe then money takes a more rightful pace in the hierarchy of values and human relationships also