Monday, April 25, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 4/25/16
“Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.”  (John V. Morley)  Jim Benton’s cartoon below shows how friends can stay friends.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  That is why the far left and far right are scary.   How can one compromise if one is in possession of "the truth"?====JACK:  Less scary is my belief that there many more of us who understand that a peaceful world is one that embraces compromise.

FROM CZB IN NH:  Love it.====JACK:  It's just like your Dad and me.  We could enjoy our donuts, knowing that each of us was firm in our political persuasion, and no talking (soft or loud or logical) was going to change either of us.  We just talked about other things.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  👍🏻====JACK:  Maybe it's from my role as a pastor, but I try to understand where people are coming from.

FROM DM IN LIV:  Great message!  Thank you!====JACK:  It's fun to express your opinion, especially when someone's listening...and agreeing.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I've been in this situation many times and do agree that it feels more peaceful to agree to disagree. But my favorite situation is being in bible studies or a group which is trying to be centered on something which transcends all the participants and hope and pray for that which truly unites and binds us all together to ,in fact, change us. Actually, I believe more in people being able to peacefully change than just living side-by-side in disagreement.====JACK:  What really bugs me is not the sharing of opinions, but the presenting of something as fact when it is untrue.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Yep - we can agree to disagree and still care for each other.  Antonin Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsberg were a classic example. Often on opposite sides of the issue but close friends and great respect for each other.  If we all did that we could indeed have peace in the world. ====JACK:  I wonder who Clarence Thomas relates to?  Morpheous?====RS:  Not sure - probably not Anita Hill, however.====JACK:  I'd almost forgotten about her.  Confirming Supreme Court justices tends to be messy business.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I have many friends like that.  Ha!====JACK:  I know where you stand politically and religiously.  You are a firm believer in both stands.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I am with you on that but that presupposes folks with whom we can compromise.  The Tea Party seems to reject compromise all together.  It sounds like a lot of Bernie people might be there also.====JACK:  I was hoping that we'd had enough of stalemates; sadly, intransigence seems to be more popular that ever...and I don't see a change coming anytime soon.

FROM WATERFORD JAN:  With some people agreeing to disagree doesn't really settle the issue--it just smolders.  With others, it is a satisfactory means of ending a disagreement that allows cooperation in many other areas.====JACK:  I'm in favor of the second.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Loved the cartoon!  As far as I'm concerned, they are two very smart people!  It's okay to agree to disagree but still be good friends!  I go to lunch once a week with my next door neighbor and she and her husband spent 10 days with us in Florida.  They are completely opposite us in many things but especially politically.  We are still very good friends.====JACK:  It is possible to have friends with opposing views, but most of us gravitate toward those who generally agree with our opinions.====JUDY:  We are still good friends because Gary and I choose not to be offended by their politically charged talks.  Shutting up is the best thing we can do for our friendship.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I''ve been in this situation many times and do agree that it feels more peaceful to agree to disagree. But my favorite situation is being in bible studie or a group which is trying to be centered on something which transcends all the participants and hope and pray for that which truly unites and binds us all together to ,in, fact, change us. Actually, I believe more in people being able to peacefully change than just living side-by-side in disagreement.
Sh in mi