Friday, April 22, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 4/22/16
“God writes the Gospel, not in the Bible alone, but also on trees, and in the flowers and clouds and stars.”  (Martin Luther)  Recently I saw the picture of a computer chip, smaller than a fingernail, which contained the entire Bible.  It is meant to be worn as a piece of jewelry, so you can always have God’s Word with you.  When I was a teen I belonged to the PTL (Pocket Testament League).  We pledged to always carry a small New Testament with us.    ;-)  Jack

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  do you still carry one?====JACK:  I carry it in my mind.  The PTL helped shape my life in the growing up years.  Now, it is "Godly" people like you who continue to shape my life.  We are ever changing...That's life.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  Happy Earth Day!  =Oh, and thanks God for the trees, flowers, clouds, and stars! ===JACK:  I chose to post today's Earth Day quote, even though I was tempted to use a Prince one.====MARY:  I am wearing a purple scarf and raspberry t shirt today. I can't find my beret. I was shocked by yesterday's news.====JACK:  Anon said, "Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. So, dance until your feet ache, laugh until your side hurts, say I love you to those you love. for tomorrow may never come."

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I heard it this way -- and I found it to be quite accurate and pleasant: The revelation of God's Word is in the holy scriptures alone. Still, God's character can be found in the systems of physics, chemistry, biology, etc., and the beauty of sunsets, the majesty of earth's terrain, and the awe of the universes! I think this is a good way hear the Word of God, as revealed, and see God, as revealed.====JACK:  The Spirit of God speaks in many languages...some not even spoken.
He even shows himself to those who may have no "eyes."  No wonder he's called, Almighty.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  Prince died as you well know.  he was quite an icon here in MN and also elsewhere.  think it was a drug overdose.  why do these guys work so hard to kill themselves? ====JACK:  I haven't heard the cause of death.  I read today that the number of suicides in the USA has zoomed (one every 13 minutes), and I'll bet most of those aren't musicians.====SP:  at this rate,  it total about 40,000 persons a year.   soooo  sad...sadly, a lot of them are Vets.   ptsd is still rampant.  as many as 1 in 5 return soldiers.   the cost of war and the insanity of war.====JACK:  There's still a need to preach "hope!" and to advocate for better care for the mentally challenged.  

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Then ideally we allow it to be written into our hearts.====JACK:  Ideally, people will see that God is beyond words in a book...which is  not to dismiss the Bible...only to emphasize the omnipresence of God.

FROM TARMART REV:  Even now we are so blessed to carry with us and placed on our phones, countless translations at our fingertips...====JACK:  I don't know that having the Bible downloaded on your I-Phone counts as carrying it with you.

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  Do you still have the pocket testament?  I have a blue leather one somewhere and carried one with a colorful “good shepherd” picture for a while.====JACK:  I don't have the one I carried as a teen-ager, but I do have one that I used when I visited the shut-ins.  I don't use it any longer, because the print seems to have shrunk in size.  A pastor friend has the Bible loaded into his I-Phone...which can control the print size.

FROM JT IN MINNESOTA:  I always learn something from you.  Thank you for your teaching.  I love the message.====JACK:  There are learning opportunities all around us.  Jesus said (Mark 4:9): "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."  It wasn't written down, but he might also have said, "She who has eyes to see, let her see."



1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

I heard it this way -- and I found it to be quite accurate and pleasant: The revelation of God's Word is in the holy scriptures alone. Still, God's character can be found in the systems of physics, chemistry, biology, etc., and the beauty of sunsets, the majesty of earth's terrain, and the awe of the universes! I think this is a good way hear the Word of God, as revealed, and see God, as revealed.