Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 4/20/16
“Sometimes God has a kid’s face.”  (Sr Mary Rose McGready)  Sr Mary Rose was called “The Mother Teresa of street children.” She spent most of her life being a friend and advocate for homeless kids, taking literally the words of Jesus, “Inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these, you have done it to me.”  I think that most of us would be more serious about our “faith” if we saw the “face of God” in the face of those who need help.  I know that I would.    ;-)  Jack

FROM AN ANGEL IN PONTIAC:   FROM AN ANGEL IN PONTIAC:  I met Christ at CCRT.
She had come in to pick up a food order for her family.  She also asked for some personal care items which we were able to give her.
He came seeking a birth certificate and ID as he had been in prison and had lost track of those items. Suzanne also noticed that his jacket was prison issue. And gave him a brand new warm winter jacket and work boots to replace his prison shoes. It is much easier to walk the streets of Pontiac if your clothing does not identify you as a person who has been in prison. He was so grateful.
She had finally secured a place to live with her three children after living in her car.  We helped her with her security deposit and promised to deliver furniture to her home. She was so relieved.
He came into the office today needing some food. He went through the food we gave him and selected the food he could eat. He had some health issues and has to be careful. He was disappointed that we did not have a better variety of soups.  He wanted me to call the VA pharmacy and order prescription refills as he is legally blind and cannot read the numbers on the pill containers. He is a very intelligent man.  He is actually an MD, but cannot practice medicine due to mental illness. He lives on social security and lives alone. He needs our support.  He is sometimes a bit demanding and difficult. Reminding myself that it is Christ in front of me makes it a bit easier.
He came in very angry because we did not give him the rest room key and he had to go down to the first floor. He wanted to know the name of the building manager and anyone else who needed to hear his complaint.  Suzanne calmly explained the reason for the policy. Then she asked how we could we help him. He left with a smile on his face and grateful for CCRT. He no longer felt the need to write the nasty letter.
Christ came in August. She needed school uniforms for her four children. We were able to give her a brand outfit for each child and a used one also. She left with school supplies and smiling faces too. We are blessed to be the "middle man" passing on generous contributions.
Christ called on the phone today to offer donations of furniture. He came in bringing in many used books in good condition to be given to our clients.
I also see Christ in the faces of the wonderful, friendly, caring volunteers who warmly greet our clients and help to find answers to their problems.
Christ comes in every day needing furniture for an empty house, food, clothing, pots and pans, or she may need blankets or a bicycle to get to work or to look for a job. He could be looking for help with an eviction or she may need help with a utility bill. We help every time we can, but sometimes we can only give a listening ear, a hug,or a recommendation as to where to go for help.
Usually thanks abound, but occasionally it is forgotten. No matter when we see Christ it makes all the difference.
I also see Christ sitting before me in the beautiful Women for all Seasons who care so much about their neighbors in need who live in Pontiac.
====JACK:  I also see your face in the face of Jesus....You're one of the most caring persons I know.

FROM MM IN FLORIDA:  Jack, thank you for all your winning word but especially for the two words today! Mother Teresa on faith and the seeing the face of God.  And the proverb on being able to move your feet which is part of my exercise for keeping mobility.====JACK:  An unexpected message from a old friend has a way of bringing added sunshine to the day.  The clock goes backward, and I remember when we worked together on various committees.  I remember your dad and the service he did in politics.  He was one of the good ones...with a ready smile.

FROM ANNE IN WATERFORD:  Sr. McReady ran Covenant House in New York for many years.  Thank you for Winning Words.====JACK:  Since your spelling of the Sister's name is different from the one I posted, I had to look it up.  We're both wrong.  It's, McGeady.  But that's not the important thing...It's the work that she did.

Jack’s Winning Words 4/19/16
“When you pray, move your feet.”  (African Proverb)  In an old-time horror movie, one of the frightened characters yelled, “Feets, get movin’!”  …and then he started running.  Whether it be in a prayer or in some other situation when action is needed, it’s important to remember that “actions speak louder than words.”  Most of us are good at offering opinions on what should be done.  But, it’s the follow through that counts.  How can I make this a better world?    ;-)  Jack

FROM  TARMART REV:  ...stepping out this morning, with this in mind!!====JACK:  Do you remember the Sunday School song...
Trying to walk in the steps of the Savior,  Trying to follow our Savior and King;
Shaping our lives by His blessèd example,  Happy, how happy, the songs that we bring.
How beautiful to walk in the steps of the Savior,  Stepping in the light, stepping in the light,
How beautiful to walk in the steps of the Savior,  Led in paths of light.
====REV:  I do...that song made it the Sunday Morning Worship services on many occasions. I'm even singing it this morning now!!====JACK:  See!  I know many of those AG "rousers!"

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I am reading a new book, entitled 1946.   Hi think you would like it.    We were just kids then and probably had a very different perspective.   Yet it is great background for understanding much of what is happening in the world right now====JACK:  In 1946, I received my call (it was a phone call from my pastor's wife) which led me to become a pastor.  For me, it made all the difference in the world.====JOHN:  Interesting.   It was a year in which my Dad almost died...ruptured appendix and gas gangrene.   It made a huge difference in our lives also.   It marked the point at which my Dad became a real influence in my life.    My mother, however, was always the major fluency and a major reason (as I look backward) why I, too, became a pastor.

FROM MY LAWYER:  I know how you can make this a better world.  Keep moving!!!====JACK:  I start off each day with a series of exercises.  They help keep me moving.

FROM PC IN HAWAII:  Hi Jack. Joe and I are in Hawaii and yesterday we came upon numerous homeless in a park. What  impressed me was their pride in their home; they swept debris, picked up trash and we're taking g the time to tidy up so much of what the rest of us overlook. Homeless. The face of God. I am blessed to interact with them.====JACK:  Maybe we should refer to "them" as, houseless people.  The earth is home to all of us, so in a sense, no one is homeless.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Feet are marvelous weapons for kicking ass.====JACK:  I once attended a service at a "poor farm" where the music was provided by a Wheelchair Choir.  All the singers were wheel chair bound.  The choir was directed by Billy Burns who had no hands and no feet.  I can still see him in my mind directing that choir.

FROM JT IN MI:  Hi, my friends.  I just reread "Sometimes God Has A Kid's Face".  It never gets easier.  Opinion seems to be a part of Judgement.  One feeds on the other and both are difficult to let go of.  Much praying!!



No comments: