Thursday, March 31, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 3/31/16
“The devil saw me with my head down and got excited…Then I said, Amen.”  (Facebook)  C.S. Lewis wrote The Screwtape Letters, a story in which a senior devil (Screwtape) instructs a junior devil (Wormwood) on how to how to lead a person away from his faith.  Tempt him to concentrate on self, materialism, doubt of God.  Martin Luther once said that the best way to deal with the devil is to laugh at him.  “Screwtape” was required reading in seminary.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TL:  Thanks for the reminder of what lurks Jack.====JACK:  The Bible says that the devil goes around like a roaring lion...but sometimes he's sly, like a fox.

FROM TARMART REV:  I've told myself often, no matter what 'ol slew-foot throws my way, give God the credit for it-- maybe he will then give up, knowing I'm trusting God more so and being brought closer to Him then to him by his attacks.====JACK:  Did you know that the devil was referred to as slew-foot because he didn't have toes on his feet?  He had hooves?====REV:  I continue to learn from my good Lutheran friends and pastors...I just remember those camp meeting evangelist referring to him as such in those firey sermons of earlier years!

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Brilliant!====JACK:  Have you ever seen Pot Shots, the sayings and cartoons by Ashley Brilliant?...for example, "I've been trying reach your mind.  Can you tell me where it's currently located?"

FROM KANSAN DON:  First book I read cover to cover in one day.====JACK:  My first one was Dick and Jane's, "See Spot Run."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I just reread that last year..l such a clever and profound book!!  Human nature doesn't change much through the generations! Nor does the Devil's work... really no laughing matter, tho Martin Luther probably successfully did just that. Luther commented he also "farted at the devil". HA!!====JACK:  Luther supposedly three an inkwell at the Devil.  There's still a blot on the wall of Luther's room at the Wartburg Castle.  The aromas have dissipated.

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Seems to me, based on today's WW the devil is doing a good job on our country and our leaders today as we see our society become more self absorbed and moving away from faith. Truly a sad scenario for our grandchildren.====JACK:  We get the leaders we pick.

No comments: