Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 3/22/16
“An open mind and a closed mouth work better than the opposites.”  (Purple Clover)  At a rally where many “I HATE…” signs were displayed, someone was holding up one that read, “God Hates Signs.”   An open mouth and what comes out of it is a sign, too.  Sunday School  children are taught, “Be careful little mouth what you say.”  Many of the biblical Proverbs echo this warning.  For example (12:22), “Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  On that theme is Ikeism #81: "Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut!"====JACK:  Tell that to some of the candidates!

FROM TARMART REV:  I hate signs as well . . . especially those found unwelcome coming out of my mouth . . . catch my share of those, wishing I would have kept my mouth shut. 0;-/====JACK:  That's why God has provided for the forgiveness of sins.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Appropriate for this political campaign.====JACK:  Abe said that you can fool some of the people some of the time.  It holds true today.

FROM IRONMAN:  I like that!====JACK:  There's an old Southern saying, "Well, shut my mouth and call me, Shirley."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Learning to close the mouth and open the ears is probably the hardest lesson for any of us to learn.  It's still an issue for me although as I get older it seems easier.  Pray for this world!====JACK:  Do you know this hymn?
Open my eyes, that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.
Refrain 1:
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready my God, Thy will to see,
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Spirit divine!
Open my ears, that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.
Refrain 2:
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready my God, Thy will to see,
Open my ears, illumine me,
Spirit divine!
Open my mind, that I may read
More of Thy love in word and deed;
What shall I fear while yet Thou dost lead?
Only for light from Thee I plead.
Refrain 3:
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready my God, Thy will to see,
Open my mind, illumine me,
Spirit divine!
Open my mouth, and let me bear,
Gladly the warm truth everywhere;
Open my heart and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.
Refrain 4:
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready my God, Thy will to see,
Open my heart, illumine me,
Spirit divine!

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  When I was a child children were taught to be seen and not heard and I guarantee you when we went visiting I was an angel. See what happens when we grow up. ====JACK:  When Jesus was a child (age 12) he was seen and heard by the elders in the Temple.  It says that they marveled at him.  What were you like at age 12?  Marvelous?====RJP:  Hard to believe I was actually quite shy. At 13 I had a girl put some strong moves on me and I got so scared I left her house and ran all the way home. It wasn't until college did I gain my confidence.  How about you??????====JACK:  It may be difficult to think about....but was Jesus a typical 13-yr-old?  In creating Jesus, God wanted to assure us that he understands what it is to be human.  At 12, I was rambunctious (how long since you've heard that word?), but Sunday School was a part of my life and so was a caring family.  Nobody ever put moves on me.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  For Sure!  Hard to come across people "whose minds are made up...don't confuse them with facts!" And there are many around...I read a quote from H.L.Menken (love his sarcastic wit) "The curse of the arts is the fact that they are constantly invaded by persons with absolutely nothing to say." Sometimes you meet these people in other venues as well. Good quote to remember today!!  A caution for us all. Thanks .====JACK:  A friend of mine succeeded a pastor and found a book of sermons that he left in the pulpit.  He had been reading his sermons on Sundays from that book.====OAKS:  HA!  Bet he missed it when he went to preach in his new church? :-)  I always marveled at how much time pastor's put into their weekly messages. Especially after I "preached" a time or two, as AB Women's Pres. of GRR! I had a whole new appreciation for you guys who preached week after week!! Kudos! At one time we had 5 pastors (from our state headquarters Staff in Spfld)  and 2 retired pastors who were members of our church.  They seemed to appreciate Bill's preaching when they were able to attend services. Must have been a challenge to preach to fellow pastors!  Your parishioners are very complimentary as to your ministry, as seen on the blog. which must be a good feeling!====JACK:  When I was in the "preaching business" I would include in the church bulletin each Sunday a Sentence Sermon, a brief positive quote, often related to the theme of the day.  I wanted the people to be able to take home some "brief message" in case they didn't get it from the sermon.  The Sentence Sermon became the seed for Jack's Winning Words.  So, I'm still preaching, in a sense, today.  The sermons are just shorter.

FROM KANSAN DON:  Good words!  God gave us two ears and only one mouth.====JACK:  Some people are hard of hearing, but make up for it by talking more.

No comments: