Friday, February 05, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 2/5/16
“Saying sorry and being sorry are not the same sorry.”  (Unknown)  I recently went to Google to learn how to pronounce, aposiopesis.  (Do you know that word?)  While at the site, I  learned that the hardest English word to pronounce is, “sorry.”  Try it.  I think that a double meaning is intended.  Life is such that most of us have a problem admitting wronging someone and asking forgiveness.  While on the subject, “goodbye” is hard to pronounce, too.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  Sorry to say, "Goodbye for this week", but happily awaiting to say, "Hello on Monday!!"====JACK:  What if you were like the god, Janus, with two faces, one looking forward and one looking backward?  You could say, "Hello" and "Goodbye" at the same time.  ====REV:  I suppose I have been called "two faced" at one time or another . . . fortunately never to my face directly, most probably behind my back where I wasn't able to face my accuser. Now that's the faced facts!!

FROM WATERFORD JAN:  You provided us with two winning words today:  sorry and aposiopesis.  I decided to look for your "a" word in my favorite dictionary, The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 1979.   (I like to feel a book in my hands and the dictionary sometimes offers more information than some online searches.)  After reading the meaning, I can actually use the word because I often have this problem.  What's your guess on how many people look up this interesting word, assuming that some of your readers already know its meaning!
With regard to the word sorry:  Some people say it with the same heartless feeling that they say when playing the game Sorry!  A sincere "sorry" can clear up a lot of relationships--with spouses, children, pets, even strangers.====JACK:  I usually have reasons as to why and how I craft Winning Words each day.  You figured out two of them.

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  we should go back to the old English for goodbye: God be with ye!    a benediction of sorts...====JACK:  I had a church member who would never say "Good-bye."  It was too final for her, so it was always, "So long" or "See ya" or something like that.====SP:  I always like to say farewell to the deceased at a funeral because it too was not so final sounding.  and I do believe we shall all meet again.====JACK:  Fare well! has special meaning, too.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  You probably made most of us look up a "new" word today, and I for one would be at a loss to use it, even if I knew it was an interrupted thought or "becoming silent",,,next time I see (or hear) a sentence started, and then quickly "interrupted" with "but that's beside the point" and not finished, I'll know what I am dealing with! :-)  I guess our "sorries" have to be validated by actions...I can't see how it is so hard to pronounce..?====JACK:  I think that the Google site was fooling around with the English language when the word, hard (difficult) can be taken in more than one way.  But, I do  know someone who pronounces sorry as soar-ee.  Should it be saar-ee?



No comments: