Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 2/2/16
“How much better would life be if a liar’s pants really did catch fire.”  (Rebel Circus)  Have you seen the Jim Carrey movie, “Liar, Liar,” in which he can’t tell a lie?  It presents all kinds of problems, to the point that his sanity is questioned.  Can you picture “pants on fire” during the current political debates?  Wouldn’t that be a sight?  On the whole, it would be a better world with more truth-telling, or, at least, more sensitivity to knowing right from wrong.    ;-)  Jack

FROM IKE AT THE MIC: On that theme,I'm reminded of Winston Churchill's  quote:  "It's unfortunate that a lie can travel 1/2 around the world,before the truth even has chance to put it's pants on."====JACK:  Churchill had quite a sense of humor, and sometimes it could be acerbic.

FROM DB:  I was musing to myself yesterday that I am further convinced that career politicians were test-tube babies: no families, no compassion, no conscience.====JACK:  There are always exceptions to the rule.   I believe that a politician should say what he/she believes and let the electorate decide if they want that kind of representation.  However, it seems that most are willing to say (or not say) what it takes to get elected.

FROM TARMART REV:  Your posting brought the following Scripture to mind this morning, Jack . . . "For we are both God’s workers. And you are God’s field. You are God’s building.  10 Because of God’s grace to me, I have laid the foundation like an expert builder. Now others are building on it. But whoever is building on this foundation must be very careful. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one we already have—Jesus Christ.  12 Anyone who builds on that foundation may use a variety of materials—gold, silver, jewels, wood, hay, or straw. 13 But on the judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has done. The fire will show if a person’s work has any value. 14 If the work survives, that builder will receive a reward. 15 But if the work is burned up, the builder will suffer great loss. The builder will be saved, but like someone barely escaping through a wall of flames.  16 Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in[a] you?" (1 Corinthians 3:9-16 New Living Translation).
====JACK:  Wouldn't if be interesting if "Hell" were a person running around for eternity with their pants on fire?====REV:  ...would be a "hell of a site" for sure!!

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA:  THAT is an excellent (and hilarious) question. And yes, I did see “Liar Liar” — which was not only much deeper than simple screwball/slapstick comedy; it was also (for me) the movie that revealed Jim Carrey’s potential to be a fine dramatic actor. (Later demonstrated in ‘The Truman Show’ and ‘Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind’)====JACK:  There are various ways to get "a message" across.  Humor is one of those ways.  You have done it with your art glass.  Other do it with music.  "Groundhog Day" is a film with a message, too.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  HA! NOW THERE'S AN HILARIOUS PICTURE!  OR IF THEIR NOSES ELONGATED WITH EACH FABRICATION! (LIKE PINOCCHIO)...I ALWAYS REMEMBER JIM CARREY'S QUOTE, "I THINK EVERYBODY SHOULD GET RICH AND FAMOUS AND DO EVERYTHING THEY EVER DREAMED OF, SO THEY CAN SEE IT'S NOT THE ANSWER."   I REMEMBER A MILLIONAIRE SENATOR, GOING THROUGH A DIVORCE, AND ALIENATED FROM HIS 4 CHILDREN,  TELLING MY HUSBAND, "IT MIGHT LOOK LIKE I HAVE EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD YOU'D WANT MATERIALLY, BUT I DON'T THINK I'LL EVER BE HAPPY AGAIN. I'VE LOST EVERYTHING THAT COUNTS."  YES, IT WOULD BE A BETTER WORLD IF DECEIT AND DECEPTION WERE LESS A PART OF IT!!====JACK:  Thankfully, ours is a world where there is also the gift of grace, the opportunity to start over.

FROM MK:  Love it Jack, you made me laugh for sure!  It would be great!====JACK:  Isn't it great how the mind can create pictures for us?

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  The debate could be renamed "The Towering Inferno." The simplest way is to tell the truth and you don't have to remember what you said.====JACK:  Promises not kept is another problem...and not only with politicians.

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  Trump, and many others,  would have "torched" themselves long ago!!  Wasn't it Caligula, the Roman Emperor, who hung Christians on poles and set them on fire for night torches in one of his courtyards??   can't imagine how awful that smelled.   have you even smelled burning human flesh?  i hope this is one of those "facts" from history that may be a bit overstated... ====JACK:  It's said that accounts of Caligula's tortures may have been exaggerated by writers who didn't like him, but his using people as torches seems to be true. b Some things are worse than lying during a debate.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We loved that movie.  I liked to think I would have no problem telling the truth...but that's not the truth!  It would be wonderful if the politicians would have their pants start on fire if they lied...that really made me laugh!  However, I'm afraid my pants would be a flame too.
Would you believe we are by our pool and it's beautifully sunny and 83 degrees?  Well, it's true!
And my swim suit is not on fire.====JACK:  How about your  nose?  Is it as long as a telephone wire?

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  this is one of my all time favorite sayings!  when someone i know and love is stretching the truth i ask them if their bottom is getting warm.  i also love the jim carrey movie.  as goofy as it is, it reminds us of the difference between kindness and needed truth. ====JACK:  How do handle truth telling with your pre-schoolers?====MARY:  I simply ask for it. I let them know that it will make them feel better inside.  I tell them that we all make mistakes no matter how little or big we are. That anything can be figured out if we know what happened.

FROM AA'S CK:  The thought of that made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the smile today. ====JACK:  I wonder if kids today still use that saying?  You might want to ask yours.

FROM DMF:  Did you go see the movie?????====JACK:  Yes, I did.  OOPS, my pants are on fire.

No comments: