Friday, January 15, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 1/15/16
“There are two kinds of worries—those you can do something about and those you can’t.  Don’t spend any time on the latter.”  (Duke Ellington)  I’ve read that worrying helps solve problems; it forces us to consider various solutions to issues.  A study showed that people seem to worry most between 9 pm and 3 am.  Is that you?  Money, looks, health, relationships, state of the world, growing old?  Some advice: “Count your many blessings…name them!”    ;-)  Jack
Worry is more than a definition.  You know it when you experience it.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  How does one define the term "worry"?====JACK: Worry is more than a definition.  You know it when you experience it.   BUT, I think Jesus says it best in the Sermon on the Mount..."Matthew 6:25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?  28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."  Evidently the problem was a problem back then, too.====JOHN:  I think that section of scripture is about priorities but I wonder if the English term "to worry" is the correct translation.    It seems to me that "to worry" means something like putting an undue emphasis upon some future event.   Jesus seems to be saying that we should virtually no emphasis at all...virtually living in total spontaneity.    Is this even possible fir us?    I think not and is another example of the impossible ethic laid out in the NT.    It pushes us toward an abandonment of self fulfilled goodness and to total dependence upon the Lord.====JACK:  The average reader goes with the translation which is before them; the word is, worry.  There's another verse which says, "Fret not thyself about tomorrow."  What would you think about using fret instead of worry in the Matthew 6 passage?====JOHN:  I would think it says "Do not overemphasize the importance of the things of your life but concentrate on the things of God".....which, of course, we will never do....unless we are Mother Teresa====JACK:  It's a worthy goal.  BTW, I wonder if M.T. saw herself as "chief of sinners?"====JOHN:  Probably...maybe that is our problem....we don't see ourselves that way!!! ====JACK:  If I'm able to find some sackcloth and ashes, I'll send them to you.

FROM TARMART REV:  I've listened to many a sermons between 9pm and 3am . . . decided sometime ago to discipline me mind with something positive to listen to than turning and tossing with frustration that can wait until the morning.====JACK:  I guess you're right that some sermons do put you to sleep.  Oops!  ...but that's not your point, is it?  Yours is an idea that I haven't heard before.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Speaking of worrying, in the recent movie "Bridge of Spies", Tom Hanks plays the role of an American attorney tapped by the Federal Government to defend a suspected Russian spy back in the early 1960's.  The actor who played the Russian was great.  As Tom tried to explain to him how serious the charges were, the Russian seemed unimpressed.  Finally, Tom asks him - "Do you worry about anything?"  The response:  "Would it help?"   That has stayed with Gloria and I since.  Easy to say, hard not to do. All the more reason to turn it over to God and trust Him. ====JACK:  What a great illustration.....which reminds me of another.  "Worry is like a rocking chair.  It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere."

FROM ANNE IN WATERFORD:  I sleep between 11 and 8.  I wake up.  I thank God, trust in God and I am grateful for faith, memories, family, friends, health.  Winning Words are important to me too.====JACK:  24/7...God neither slumbers nor sleeps!  No "Do Not Disturb" sign on his door.

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  The reassurance in the Sermon on the Mount is reflected in today's message from Jesus as it appears in Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. I was given this book at Christmas and I find the daily talk with/from Jesus as presented in the book very helpful, especially in handling the ever present worries issue.====JACK:  Your reference to a "Daily Talk" reminds me of this song that I like..."Just a Little Talk With Jesus"  (You can YouTube it, too)

I once was lost in sin  But Jesus took me in
And then a little light from heaven  Filled my soul

He filled my heart with love  He wrote my name above
Just a little talk with my Jesus  Gonna make it right

Have a little talk with Jesus  And tell Him all about your troubles
He'll hear our famous cry  And He will answer by and by

When you feel a little down  You have a little fire burning
Well, have a little talk with my Jesus  Gonna make it right

You may have doubts and fears  Your eyes may fill with tears
Now Jesus is a friend  Who watches day and night

Well, He wrote my name above  And He filled my soul with love
Well, just a little talk with my Jesus  Gonna make it right

Let's have little talk with Jesus  And tell Him all about our troubles
He'll hear our faintest cry  He will answer by and by

Feel a little prayer wheel a-turning  You know, a little fire is a-burning
Let's have a little talk with my Jesus  Gonna make it right

Talk to Him  Talk to Him  You better talk to Him

Well, you may have doubts and fears  Your eyes may fill with tears
My Jesus is a friend  Who watches day and night

Well, He's gonna keep you safe  He's the answer to my every prayer
Just a little talk with my Jesus  Gonna make it right

Have a little talk with my Jesus  Tell Him all about our troubles
He'll hear our faintest cry  And He will answer by and by

Feel a little prayer wheel a-turning  You know, a little fire is a-burning
Have a little talk with my Jesus  Gonna make it right

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Nope, I'm not a worrier.  Our money is fine, my looks are great, as are my relationships, state of the world is marginal and I'm certainly growing older...but, I'm not worried.  That lady that looks back at me in the mirror isn't really me, I'm actually only 29 in my mind. ====JACK:  In 1930, the Carter Family recorded, "It Takes a Worried Man to Sing a Worried Song."  Since you're not a worrier, you probably don't know the song.


     

1 comment:

SBP said...

The reassurance in the Sermon on the Mount is reflected in today's message from Jesus as it appears in Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. I was given this book at Christmas and I find the daily talk with/from Jesus as presented in the book very helpful, especially in handling the ever present worries issue.