Monday, November 23, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 11/23/15
“Sometimes a hug is all you need to make you feel better.”  (Pinterest)  After the Paris shootings, a blindfolded Muslim man asked people to show him trust with a hug.  Dozens did so.  I’m not usually a “hugger,” but sometimes I can’t help myself…It’s the right thing to do, when words are not enough.  Studies indicate that a hug can be good for your health.  Studies aside, a hug in difficult times, or as a friendly greeting, just makes us feel good.  Hugs!   ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  some years ago an old pastor friend of mine also gave me this advice,  "except for your wife,  do ALL your hugging in public".  (so as to avoid any hint of impropriety).   also,  there are different kinds of hugs...some less suggestive than others.   shoulder to shoulder might be the less intrusive and still meaningful...====JACK:  I've read that Billy Graham was never allowed to be alone with a woman (other than his wife).====SP:  I think that is true.  especially during courtship.  still true to this day at Bob Jones U.  couples must stay one foot a part at all times.   Billy never kissed Ruth until they were married as far as I know.  he mentioned this once in a sermon.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  not a hugger either.====JACK:  I was at an event yesterday when a man came up and gave me a kiss on the cheek.  I know that he was from a culture where that is a way of greeting...and I accepted it that way.====LIZ:  yeah, he meant well, & you were gracious. 

FROM TARMART REV:   I’m most usually a “hugger,” but sometimes I have to restrain myself...it's the right thing to do!!  Not often--but there are those times. As Kenny Rogers the country-western singer sang-- "You've got to know when to hold them and know when to throw them" a heavenly handshake!!====JACK:  I wonder if Jesus was a hugger?  We read that he was a toucher...for healing.====REV:  I would like to use His communicative skill with His eyes . . . I think He was able to speak in volumes of ways in the way He looked upon others--compassionate, commanding, controlling, forgiving, welcomingly and "you know better" kinds of ways without speaking one word first.

FROM LS IN MICHIGAN:  It WAS wonderful to share a hug last night at the Philip A. Hart 55th Annual Dinner with you.  Your invocation and blessing of the food was received by me as heartfelt and passionate.  I enjoyed listening to your invocation and seeing you.  I continue to anticipate waking and reading your winning words email every day.  It is uncanny how your timely chosen words apply to me and  my experiences.   I appreciate your work.  The insight and support I glean from each email leads me into the day with a smile and thoughts about what you share.  Wishing you continued good health.  Sending another HUG.====JACK:  It's always a good day when I meet up with people I usually only "see" by way of the computer and Winning Words.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Got a big hug yesterday at church from an old friend.  A little girl named M... has adopted me as her g'father. What a thrill and blessing. I guess at my age I look pretty harmless.====JACK:  Grandchildren's (adopted or real) hugs are the best.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:
My dad wasn't a hugger--he was a handshaker, German ancestors. My sister and I were in his nursing home room when he died--standing a couple of feet away from his bed, softly talking. One of my regrets, which I've tried to make peace with, is that I wasn't touching his hand or his arm or something. And I think that is because, being a handshaker, went with his whole personality which was rather reserved and private. I would have liked to accompany him in his transition by transcending the reservation and privacy but seems old habits of being are strong even in the face of death and finality and no more chances to change. Hugs back to you.====JACK:  I think that past generations, on the whole, were less expressive in showing love than is customary today.  Love has a way of making itself known, regardless of various kinds of touching.  You were there!

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Give Mary one for me, Jack.  Happy Thanksgiving!====JACK:  She'll wonder what's going on, if I don't explain it to her first.

FROM TRIHARDER:  Yep.====JACK:  Yup!

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Consider this a long distance hug!====JACK:  What long arms you have....

FROM INDY GENIE:  Love hugs...giving and receiving:) Sending you one right now. ====JACK:  Ohh!  Got it.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  How true.====JACK:  It takes two to make it work...the hugger and the huggee.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Hugs are so very uplifting!  They comfort you and let you know someone cares....like a big hug from Jesus!====JACK:  I guess our "visions" of Jesus is affected by the pictures that artists have made.  I've never seen one of him hugging.  I'll have to google that.....
Oooooh, there are lots!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'm a Hugger from a way back, much more so than a handshake...I imagine most people would be surprised if I DIDN'T hug them! It IS a good feeling, tho sometimes a homeless individual's hug is not a "sweet-smeller"! :-) No matter...blessings====JACK:  You usually end your e-mails with "hugs," but today you used "blessings" when I expected "hugs."

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  Right on!  Give yourself one from me.====JACK:  I think I'll have to have an out-of-body experience to give myself a hug.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dad wasn't a hugger--he was a handshaker, German ancestors. My sister and I were in his nursing home room when he died--standing a couple of feet away from his bed, softly talking. One of my regrets, which I've tried to make peace with, is that I wasn't touching his hand or his arm or something. And I think that is because, being a handshaker, went with his whole personality which was rather reserved and private. I would have liked to accompany him in his transition by transcending the reservation and privacy but seems old habits of being are strong even in the face of death and finality and no more chances to change. Hugs back to you, Pastor Freed.