Friday, October 30, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 10/30/15
“Can we BOO more people?  This is great!”  (Enzo Montante)  I’m not into “booing,” even if it’s a botched play in a football game.  A woman in our community tells of a new kind of “booing.”  On Halloween, you sneak up to a neighbor’s porch, ring the bell, and leave a bag of treats (labeled, BOO!), with a note encouraging them to BOO other people.  The woman’s 8-yr-old son thinks it’s fun to “boo” people in this way.   Tradition is hard to change!  

FROM CZB IN NEW HAMPSHIRE:  We changed it up this year and "boo-zed" our neighbors!   Otherwise I'm with you - not into booing. Felt bad for the Michigan kicker when he botched that kick to lose the game. Apparently some people were pretty mean about it. But others set up a Facebook page supporting him.  Happy Halloween!====JACK:  Some of the boo-ers I've seen appear to have been overly energized with boo-ze.

FROM TARMART REV:  Great feeling to be "booed" occasionally . . . the other day I drove up to one of the pumps at my favorite gas stations in town . . . a young man was just finishing up refilling his gas tank . . . we visited momentarily as I've known him for the past twenty years or so when his was a small child, walked with him and his mother through the difficult divorce of his parents and have watched him grow into the fine young man he is today. I reminded him how proud I was of him and his mom as both have recovered well and gone on with their lives. Out he came from inside the station as I was entering, nodding once again as we passed each other. I reached for my billfold to pay and the attendant informed me my gas was paid by the young man (over $30 at that)! Blessed, I was and am!!;-)  JACK:  Something similar happened to us when our family was small, and pennies were important.  We were in a local restaurant enjoying a "meal out."  When it came time to pay the bill, the server said that it had already been taken care of.  Some church members at a nearby table gave a wave.  We need to BOO more people in that way.  ====REV:  ...we do, in deed, as well...my time is coming when a few folk, including myself, will gather $2,000 to $3,000 during the Christmas season with me breaking it down into $50, $100 and a few $200 cash gift cards to pass out anonymously at Walmart or Target while I'm sitting there. Always an enjoyable experience, especially with folks I'm not yet acquainted with nor them with me.====JACK:  God has given you an interesting ministry.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  What a neat idea! I'm told in my new home I'll have lots of "trick or treaters", so that will be fun, but think I'll tryl that BOO! idea on my ailing neighbors, with some soup, etc. today !  Thanks to WW!====JACK:  I'm glad that you like the idea.  A Baptist minister's wife would not want to BOO-ze her neighbors...as some people do.  What outfit will you be wearing when the kids knock at your door?  Zombies seem to be in fashion this year.====OAKS: I have a "Witch and Famous" glittery T I wear with my witches hat, skirt and cape....but I no longer paint my face green or do the  warts....and my marvelous witches' cackle was scaring the kids, so have modified that, too. :-) Can't beat fun!====JACK:  A real live witch...was it a treat or a trick?  At least the kids (and the accompanying parents) would go away with a story to tell.

FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  Our neighborhood used to really be into "boo-ing" ; the first time we did it one of my neighbors was afraid someone was trying to poison her children, so she threw all the treats away; another time when Rose was "boo-ing a friend, after she rang the doorbell the dad came out yelling and chased her down the driveway (obviously it was a new tradition to him - they were from London). It has been fun over the years. Now the only children on our street are 10-month-old twins.====JACK:  Our house is set far back from the street.  Only a few little ones come to the door with parents.  The "savvy" older ones would rather go to the houses that are closer together.  More bang for the buck.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  We used to leave a bag of "Boo" on the front porch and set it afire. Then ring the doorbell and watch the resident stamp it out. Haw, Haw, Haw.====JACK:  Your name should be changed to Chester the Bad.

ROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  When we first moved into this neighborhood, we were "Boo...ed".  We had never heard of such a thing.  But the kids loved it!
  I never boo anyone even when I'm watching the Red Wings or any team come to think of it.  I figure loosing is bad enough, they don't need to hear it from the crowd too.

 ROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  When we first moved into this neighborhood, we were "Boo...ed".  We had never heard of such a thing.  But the kids loved it!    I never boo anyone even when I'm watching the Red Wings or any team come to think of it.  I figure loosing is bad enough, they don't need to hear it from the crowd too.




No comments: