Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 10/27/15
“Macho does not prove mucho.”  (Quoted by Larry Bielat)  These words are in Bielat’s book, Winning Words of Champions.  Just last week I saw an NFL player strut around pounding his chest like Tarzan, simply for making a play that he’s paid to make.  I’m old-fashioned, and I think that when we’re given a job, we do it.  My home pastor never asked for a raise.  “If the people think I deserve it, I’ll get it.”   He was no pretend-Tarzan…just a role-model    ;-)  Jack

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  Oh!  Finally someone who thinks like me about these highly over paid NFL players!====JACK:  Even worse are those who receive their pay and don't do the job.  The Bible says in Proverbs:  "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:  Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest."

FROM TARMART REV:  Most generally found the same to be true . . . if I have to tell a person my feeling of worthiness, it really is not that worthy of mentioning to them any way.====JACK:  Some people are critical of unions, seeing them as way or protecting lazy workers.  History says that they were formed to protect workers from employers who saw them as tools, not human beings.  As with much of life, there has to be a middle ground.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  there is waaay too much macho in sports today.  and maybe too much testosterone too...====JACK:  I've seen some "macho" pastors, too.  Mucho macho doesn't impress God, either.====SP:  you mean our Gov. Jesse Ventura didn't impress God??   heavens to betsy!!====JACK:  The Bible indicates that there's place in heaven for wrestlers.  Genesis, says that Jacob wrestled with an angel.  Jacob asks the angel his name, and while he doesn't receive an answer, it could have been Jesse, a Biblical name.====SP:  but maybe not Jesse "the body":):)====JACK:  I wonder how we will recognize Jesse...even how we will recognize one another?  "For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven."  (2 Corinthians 5)

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  A neat turn of phrase!  Your home pastor was outstanding....and so were his daughters! Pat was one of my bridesmaids.  My husband on the other hand had been running his  construction co. dealing with union bargaining etc. So he was pretty aggressive about his salary....but he earned every penny, as most pastors do, with 16 hr days almost 24/7!  But we don't go into ministry full time with the thought of getting rich financially. Our pay comes in satisfaction and love....I agree with your assessments of many of our athletes and celebrities!====JACK:  You can't beat "satisfaction."  I've never regretted my vocation.  I guess that there's a place for each of us in God's factory.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  So appropriate!  We watch sports and it gets quite annoying to watch these millionaire players strut around after making a play.  It's expected of them: like you say, it's their job.  It's very humbling to hear/read about a regular guy who saves someone life and they themselves are humbled by the praise.====JACK:  I've read that there are an average of 11 minutes of play/action in a NFL football game.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Nice.  Agreed.====JACK:  I don't care if attorneys bill by the minute.  It can be a whole lot more expensive to represent yourself.====ME:  It can be but there are far too much representations where emotion rules and neither the client nor the attorney considers the business ramifications.

No comments: