Thursday, October 22, 2015

Jack’s Winning words 10/22/15
“There’s no app to replace your lap.  Read to a child.”  (Literacy Unlimited)  I recall the days when I read “Curious George” books to my grandchildren.  What fun!!  I’ve given away that collection of books, but I still remember the enjoyment they brought.  When I was a child, my aunt made a scrapbook for me, using pictures cut from magazines and newspapers.  I’ve been searching, but can’t find it.  Thankfully, my mind allows me to “see” some of the pages.  ;-)  Jack  

FROM SS IN MICHIGAN:  Thank you for reminding me I have a similar scrapbook...What happy memories.====JACK:  I'm going to continue the search for my scrapbook.  It has a green cover with ragged edges.

FROM DR J:  We love Curious George… still play the Jack Johnson soundtrack from time to time====JACK:  That George!  He was always getting into trouble because of his curiosity.  He exasperated the man in the yellow hat.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I love children's lit.    I think my all time favorite would have to be "Lafcadio, the Lin who shot back".    That was by Shel Silverstein.....very creative and enjoyable.    I also love the old fairy tales.    We used to play Snow White with our son when he was a little guy.    Mary Lou was Snow White.   Todd was Prince Charming.    I was the Wicked Witch....virtual type casting!====JACK:  Your Children's Messages during the worship service were effective, because you were able to have the children (figuratively) in your lap.  Even some of the adults were in your lap, too.

FROM TARMART REV:  Remembering those stories this morning my mother would read to us before bedtime from our Child Craft stories selection bought when sold door to door by World Book in the early '50's.  All the earlier childhood stories we grew up on.====JACK:  These words of Jesus are thought-provoking..."Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

A MOM HAS FORWARDED TODAY'S WINNING WORDS TO HER DAUGHTER:  "I know you do this, but it seems very timely, so am passing it on."=====JACK:  Moms never seem to forget that they are moms.

FROM HY YO SILVER:  Great line.====JACK:  Laps seem to be comfortable places for children...better than a chair.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It's such a blessing to have one or All of my younger grandkids sitting in my lap reading them a story.  But they prefer me to tell them stories.  Josh, 16 and 6'2", doesn't sit in my lap anymore, always wanted a story about a deer, a train and him.====JACK:  "Children may outgrow your lap, but they'll never outgrow your heart."

FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  I am already reading to my Grandson who is 10 weeks old tomorrow. I love it! Such wonderful memories of reading to our son who still loves to read. ====JACK:  My first Winning Words quote was this one.  "Virtue is learned at mother's knee.  Vice is learned at other joints."  In the case of your grandson, "Reading is learned in grandma's lap."  ====DONNA:  He also loves my singing. Old MacDonald is a favorite.====JACK:  For variety, you might try singing, "On Wisconsin," and see how he responds.

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  A coincidence! Here in my "office" is a very large box stuffed full with children's books. I'm sending them to Stacy to share with her grandchildren. Some are autographed. We always read to the girls even had a poetry night at dinner once a week. Everybody read and still do. We've run out of shelf room so many times.====JACK:  The father of a friend had him memorize some "classic" and repeat it at the supper table.  It was amazing how he could remember what he had learned as a child.  "Poetry-time" sounds like a good idea.  BTW, when I try to clean off the bookshelves by packing away unused books, invariably, the book I want is packed away.  It's time to try again.  I should remember what Einstein said:  "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."



1 comment:

SBP said...

A coincidence! Here in my "office" is a very large box stuffed full with children's books. I'm sending them to Stacy to share with her grandchildren. Some are autographed. We always read to the girls even had a poetry night at dinner once a week. Everybody read and still do. We've run out of shelf room so many times.