Thursday, October 01, 2015

Jack’s Winning words 10/1/15
“Instead of putting others in their place, try putting yourself in their place.”  (Amish Proverb)  The Amish are known for simple living, plain dress and the avoidance of modern technology…and they’re also known for plain speaking as expressed in Pennsylvania Dutch proverbs.  “Trouble is easier to get into than out of…Kissing wears out.  Cooking don’t…Every family tree has a little sap…Good character like good soup is usually homemade.”    ;-)    Jack

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  Variations on the theme include "Never judge a man until you have walked two moons/miles in his moccasins." Today's WW prompted me to "google" the word "adages". Amazing how much of our conversations include an adage of one source or other. ====JACK:  One of my favorites in the Bible is the Book of Adages.  (30:18,19)

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Everybody these days seems to be decluttering-another word for simplifying life.====JACK:  Your word, decluttering, causes me to look to my right and see a desk that has too much clutter.  Did you know that there's a 12-step program called, Clutterers Anonymous?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I love the last one about good character (and soup)being homemade...so many children do not get that kind of nurturing at home these days. Another adage I was raised with, "keep your words sweet; you may have to eat them!"  and "It doesn't cost anything to smile and be kind"...my mother's quotes, not original, but .Good to remember!! Empathy for others is really priceless!====JACK:   I read an article a couple of years ago that said, "Empathy Is Overrated," that putting yourself too much in the other's place can mess up your own life.  I guess it's true...All things in moderation.====OAKS:  I would guess most of us are to self-centered to go overboard with empathy  and mess our own lives up...at least that is my take, as I  look around....I don't think our problem is too much empathy!

FROM CHUCKIE CHEESE:  Love that song. Interesting to hear about the inspiration behind it. ====JACK:  I think I'll use The Fray again sometime soon.

1 comment:

SBP said...

Variations on the theme include "Never judge a man until you have walked two moons/miles in his moccasins." Today's WW prompted me to "google" the word "adages". Amazing how much of our conversations include an adage of one source or other.