Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 9/9/15
“Sometimes having coffee with your best friend is all you need.”  (Sent by LG)  The late Joan Rivers was famous for her line, “Can we talk?”  She’d go on from those words to say “funny” things.  In explaining her catch phrase, she said it means, “Let’s stop the nonsense and get serious.”  As a pastor, I wonder if ever there were serious times in her life when she said to someone, “Can we talk?”  Lucky is the one who can say to a friend, “Can we talk?”  ;-)  Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  It most certainly works. I just completed a 4 year transaction and talked it over with a good friend - helped relieve the stress.====JACK:  Joan Rivers shows that we have a public and a private persona.  What we see (and hear) does not always represent the true person.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Clearly all of us on here are "lucky".  Not only do you motivate us, you are always available so "we can talk" more deeply about so many things.====JACK:  The BLOG allows give and take.  It's not as good as face to face, but it's better than nothing.  Answers from people like you motivate me to get up early each morning.

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  Just saw this sign on Facebook--C.O.F.F.E.E.--Christ Offers Forgiveness For Everyone Everywhere.  Is this something that’s been around for a long time and I just saw it?====JACK:  Acrostics are fun.  They're a good way to personalize  birthday greetings and to hi-lite notes to special people.  C-aring  A-mbitious  R-esolute  O-utgoing  L-ikeable====CAROL:  Thanks for the great idea of using acrostics for card giving – Joyful Achiever Cheerful Keeper!!!!
Might be my undoing with some of our children and grandchildren with their long names…. ====JACK:  "By Jove, I think she's got it!"

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  I guess I am really lucky as I have many friends I can talk to and more importantly listen to.  A nutty Pastor from Mi is one of them, Wow I really am the blessed guy. ====JACK:  Yes, there are many, many blessings around us.  You probably know the song, "Count your many blessings, name them one by one."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Yes and we are so lucky to be living in this technology era where we can communicate via not only in person, by phone, or by computer and cellphone, complete with texting and pictures.  Yesterday our second great-grandchild was born in Washington DC and it has been  such a pleasure to receive pictures of Nathaniel James and his parents, grandparent, and aunt.  Also,  I've been texting with relative who is putting together a party for the DeTaeyes still in the area.  We were once 14 cousins, now down to 6, and one, Chuck just went into hospice last week.  Chuck was in the 8th grade when I began teaching at John Deere, and he seems so young to me.  But you never know what God has planned for us,  so just enjoy each day-and be kind to one another.====JACK:  I've quoted this poem...more times than I can count.
 "The clock of life is wound but once  And no one has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop,  At late or early hour.  
Now is the only time you own;  Live, love, work, and with a will;
Place no faith in tomorrow, for  The clock may then be still."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Joan probably had a lot of serious talks with her family and close friends.  That's what family and friends are for.  Coffee is a staple is our family and we have had many long talks sitting down for a cup!  Our youngest granddaughter , Melanie, decided her family was going to sell their house and move in with us.  When I asked her when this was all going to happen she said "Today! All I have to do is pack my clothes!"  Needless to say her mom and dad and Gary and I had a long "Coffee table  talk."====JACK:  Texting seems to be the new talk.  But the old-fashioned "Can we talk?" (over a cup of coffee) is still in vogue when things get serious.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  LOVE THE COFFEE ACROSTIC ON YOUR BLOG...I LOVE MY COFFEE!  MY SON JUST INSTALLED A NEW COMPUTER OVER THE WEEKEND, WITH A GIANT SCREEN, AND SKYPE!  I HAD NEVER SKYPED, BUT IT IS FUN TO TALK AND "SEE" THE PERSON, AND AM LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING MY GREAT GRANDBABIES THIS FALL ON SKYPE WHEN THEY ARE BORN!  MY BEST FRIEND AND I HAVE COFFEE A LOT!====JACK:  Skype is a step above a telephone call, but it seems a bit stilted to me.  It is face to face, but the "touch" isn't there.

No comments: