Thursday, September 24, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 9/24/15
“Success is simple.  Do what is right, the right way, at the right time.”  (Arnold Glascow)  In 1890 a magazine called, SUCCESS, was founded by O.S. Marden.  It was very popular and continues today, mainly for entrepreneurs.  People want to know…”How can I find success?”  Ariana Huffington was on top of the world.  Then, one day she collapsed from exhaustion.  Her body was saying,  “Things have to change.  Get back to the simple things in life.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Orison Marden had a Law Degree, a Medical Degree and a Divinity Degree I believe. He wrote more than 70 books beginning with "Pushing to the Front" (1850). I like "Architects of Fate" 1893? I have collected most all of Marden's books. He was one of the first to come out with short books too, like 1905's "Success Nuggets" a bit like Winning Words. Other short (54 to 100 pages) hardbound books were "Manners" and "Character".   I consider Marden one of my posthumous mentors and quoted him often in my 2005 book "Good Debt, Bad Debt" (Penguin, USA).====JACK:  I abbreviated his first and middle names (for space saving), knowing that you and other aficionados would pick up on it.  I find it interesting that the word, orison, means prayer and that one of the meanings of swett is advice.  Neither of them are in a book of name-meanings that I have.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Reminds me of a quote that Bill often used (I think by Wm Penn) "Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it."  Something to think about in this day and age when it seems this is sometimes true! You feel better if you do the right thing, even if it is sometimes the harder choice. Discerning the "right way" and the "right time" might be the problem!====JACK:  What is the determining factor in knowing right from wrong?  Right and wrong sometimes change places as the years go by.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Once did an ad series for the John Deere Parts Department that had the headline " THE RIGHT PART, AT THE RIGHT PRICE, RIGHT NOW". Successful. ====JACK:  Alliteration is an attention-getter!

No comments: