Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 9/2/15
“Hey, Jude!  Don’t make it bad.  Take a sad song and make it better.”  (The Beatles)  This “best” of the Beatles’ songs is said to have been written to help Jules Lennon during the time his parents were divorcing.  I recently read that music helps the most when people are in difficult situations.  Is there a song that particularly gives you an uplift?  Thomas Dorsey wrote “Precious Lord, take my hand…” after being notified of the death of his wife and daughter.    ;-)  Jack

FROM DR ERIC:  One of my favorite pick me up songs.====JACK:  "Hey, Jude" is one of the longest singles ever recorded (7:11 minutes).  Some "experts" said that it would never work.  Evidently it worked for you, and it works for me.

FROM TARMART REV:  Carry a number of them in my heart all the time . . . interestingly, one will pop into my mind as a particular situation will occur and a chorus or song fitting the occasion will once again surface.====JACK:  Your words bring to mind a Sunday School song that I haven't thought about for a long time..."In my heart there rings a melody...."  Do you know it?

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  When Peace Like A River is one of my all time favorites.  do you know the history of that one?  its fascinating.  I also love, To Dream the Impossible Dream from the Man of La Mancha.   also,  Send in the Clowns.  one more:  the "anthem" of Margaret's Swedish family is of course,  Children of the Heavenly Father.====JACK:  On Eagle's Wings is another "uplifting" song.====ST PAUL:  it gets sung at almost all our funerals.  Michael Joncas is an acquaintance of ours (mildly) thru Marty Haugen who is  a close friend.  David Haas and Michael Joncas are both good Catholics (Michael is a Jesuit who has studied in Rome).  Marty's wife Linda is like a sister to my wife Margaret.  they taught school together for many years both before and after we were in Pontiac.  Michael, David, and Marty  have recorded a number of albums together.  not so much lately however.

FROM JK IN CALIFORNIA:  Not to sound too sad...but I Sang That at (my grandmother's) funeral my senior year of high school. (My mother) asked me to, and chose that song***====JACK:  Do you know if your grandmother liked Beatles' music?  She would have been proud to have you sing at her funeral.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  HAD TO PASS THIS ON TO SON MARK, WHO WAS A HUGE BEATLE ;   "HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW" IS A GREAT PICK-ME-UP, AND LOVE "SHINE JESUS SHINE" JUST FOR SHEER EXUBERANCE....I WANT IT SUNG AT MY  MEMORIAL SERVICE, IN FACT.  SO MANY WONDERFUL SONGS: "SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW" "YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE" , ETC ETC. AND LIKE YOU AND YOUR BLOGGERS SAID, SO MANY HAVE AWESOME STORIES BEHIND THE WRITING OF THE SONG... ====JACK:  It sounds as though yours will not be a funereal funeral.  How about "Nothing like a dame" from South Pacific?

FROM DR J:  The 712 Perry Girls called me Jude… this songs always reminds me of that ;-) ====JACK:  Did each of the Perry Girls have a song, or a nickname?

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Sinatra's High Hopes.====JACK:  Since you're also a Bacharach fan, how about "I say a little prayer," or "What the world needs now."

FROM HEY JUD(E)Y:  This is my song!!!!  Music does help in difficult situations and it helps make all situations better. Rob, my husband, always takes care of the dinner music when we have people over for dinner. His selections are always perfect for the friends and family members we are hosting. Hey Jude, though, speaks to walking into any type of room and being a light of goodwill, not a downer or a sympathizer, a doer; it means sharing a get-things-done and be happy getting things done, attitude.====JACK:  Just suppose....Jesus were to show up for supper, what songs do you suppose Rob would have on the playlist?  Just suppose....====JUD:  Cinema Paridisio .. Vivaldi Four Seasons, or some beautiful Blues selections.  Rob .. Am I close?====JACK:  How about "What a Friend We Have In Jesus?"====JUD:   Absolutely!!!! OR Proud Mary …….

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  One of my favorites is How Great Thou Art, specifically sung in Maui with all of the Hawaiian beauty.====JACK:  That song has a Swedish origin and was popularized by George Beverly Shea during the Billy Graham Crusades.  You can listen to GBS on YouTube.  I'll try to pull up the Hawaiian version.

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  ...."And He walks with me and...." I really like the "older" hymns. Seems like there is, at least , one for every occasion... need and expression of exultation.====JACK:  Many hymns were written by people who were reflecting on personal circumstances.  Read, for example, the background of "What a Friend," and "Now Thank We All Our God."

2 comments:

SBP said...

...."And He walks with me and...." I really like the "older" hymns. Seems like there is, at least , one for every occasion... need and expression of exultation.

SBP said...

I have a book titled Then Sings My Soul. The hymn and it's background are in it. There are 150 hymns and the stories behind them. Both of the ones you suggested are in it. So much thanks, heartfelt trust, and sincere belief are in evidence.