Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 9/15/15
“Truth is like the sun.  You can shut it out for a time, but it ain’t goin’ away.”  (Elvis Presley)  Today marks the end of Rosh Hashanah, the celebration of the Jewish New Year.  Did you know that Elvis’s maternal grandmother was Jewish?  I didn’t know that, but I do know that many pop singers have Jewish roots? Streisand Joel Diamond Bacharach Kiss Pink SteelyDan Garfunkel Manilow Groban TinyTim Chapin Dylan JuiceNewton.  Your favorites?    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  My son in law is Jewish...has no idea of what is in the Hebrew Bible.     Knows how to light the Menorah.====JACK:  Does he know how to sing "I have a little dreidel?"

FROM VINCENTRIC ECCENTRIC:  Your Winning Words reminds me of this song
https://screen.yahoo.com/weekend-adam-sandler-hanukkah-song-000000466.html
====JACK:  That is very good.  I'm going to play it again....and again in December.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Not a bad Adam Sandler impression, Jack!  😄====JACK:  When son David read today's WWs, he sent me the Sandler song.  I was impressed.

FROM BB IN MICHIGAN:  Sammy Davis Jr.====JACK:  I remember that segment in "All In the Family," where Sammy plants a big kiss on Archie Bunker.  I laughed out loud...and not because Sammy was Jewish.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  is Paul Simon also Jewish?   thought we was too...====JACK:  Yes, Simon was Jewish.  So was former Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright.  She was raised Catholic, but didn't learn until adulthood that her parents were Jewish.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I know Juice Newton, had a song called, "Shot Full of Love," that was tremendous. I recall buying the 33rpm Album. Not a lot of hits but a great talent.====JACK:  Do you have a nickname?  Jack is a nickname for John.  Juice's given name was Judith.====JON:  No nicknames ever. Jon is pretty short, we were so poor when I was born we couldn't afford a second "H".====JACK:  Jon is probably a nickname for Jonathan in the Bible.  Jonathan means: Gift from the Lord.  I wonder if your parents knew that?

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I'm grateful for Bette Midler, George Gershwin, Leonard Bernstein, and many others.====JACK:  Not in the music genre, but important, just the same...Daniel Libeskind and Max Abramovitz.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We've listened to all of them and others too.  I love the Christmas albums made by Jewish singers.  They may be Jewish but I love their songs, especially Josh Groban and Neil Diamond.====JACK:  I heard that many of George Gershwin's songs are based on music that he heard in the Temple worship.

FROM TARMART REV:  First time I've had today to catch up on my daily e-mails . . . Matthew 26 indicates: 226 As they were eating, Jesus took some bread and blessed it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, “Take this and eat it, for this is my body.” . . . 27 And he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them and said, “Each of you drink from it, 28 for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many. 29  Mark my words—I will not drink wine again until the day I drink it new with you in my Father’s Kingdom.” . . . 30 Then they sang a hymn and went out to the Mount of Olives. I think I will choose the Christ for my selection today!!====JACK:  He was Jewish, too.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN:  The giftings are evident of the favor of God on the Jewish people. ====JACK:  In the Biblical Parable of the Talents, talents refers to a kind of money.  It's interesting that we now look upon talents as abilities.  We all have our abilities, gifts of God.

No comments: