Thursday, July 16, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 7/16/15
“The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young know everything.”  (Oscar Wilde)  A recent study shows that people, 69 and older, tend to believe too-good-to-be-true promises.  Internet feedback shows that middle-agers are conspiracy-prone.  If it’s not “the gov’t,” it’s a religious plot, or Wall St.  And, of course, it’s nothing new that the young know everything.  Haven’t you ever been young?  But…beware of stereotypes!    ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  oh yes, how we were pretty sure we knew everything at age 20! ====JACK:  Sadly, some folks, as they age, never say good-bye to their 20s.====ST PAUL:  I know a 60 year old hippie!  its all kind of pathetic!

FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  What about the middle age realize that they have to learn everything? As I slowly mature from a "young" person with grand ideas -- which are surely the best most awesome ideas -- I learn how naive I am and start climbing yet another learning curve.====JACK:  Wait until you slowly mature into an "older" person...then you will really know what naiveté is.  ====LBP:  Yeah... Wasn't that a WW in the past? How much you know you don't know?====JACK:  Probably!  Sometimes, as you grow older, you tend to repeat yourself.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Interesting words.  I find myself believing little of what I read or see or hear.  I'm 64 so maybe that will change when I hit 69! Lol====JACK:  It looks like you fit the stereotype.  How about Gary?

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  beware, indeed!  (i am a conspiracist, you see. tee hee.)====JACK:  You seem to fit the profile...and ask your father is he's living his 2nd childhood.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  BOTH YESTERDAY, AND TODAY'S WW ARE ESPECIALLY GOOD! WAY BACK IN PLATO'S TIME, THERE WAS ALWAYS  A GENERATION SAYING , "THE WORLD IS GOING TO THE DOGS!"  This gives me some hope for the future that my grandkids, and "greats" will live in, as we are very adaptable when necessary. And Wily old Oscar Wilde had a way of putting things that have a ring of truth to it. I feel at 85, I'm still a bit of a skeptic, until proven otherwise.  But I do have faith that people  are predominately Good at heart!====JACK:  At this moment I am watching and listening (on my computer) to a livestream of the ELCA Detroit Youth Gathering being held at Ford Field.  30,000 youth from many parts of the USA have come to Detroit to do work projects in the neighborhoods and to celebrate their common faith and to meet new friends.  It's a real positive experience which gives me hope for the future.

No comments: