Friday, June 12, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 6/12/15
“We must use time as a tool, not as a couch.”  (JFK)  Do you happen to have one of those new Apple watches?  I’ve read that the first wristwatch was made in the 1570s, adapting a pocket watch to be worn as a bracelet.  I received my first wristwatch as a confirmation present from my parents, and I still have it.  Watches are called “time-keepers,” but can we ever keep time?  Jim Croce lamented, “If I could save time in a bottle.”  NOW’s the only time we own!    ;-)  Jack


 FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  That's the song we chose for our wedding dance...41 years ago!====JACK:  If I could dance, I could dance to that song.
FROM TARMART REV:  . . . my first one . . . graduation from High School . . . can't say like John Cameron Swayze anymore—“It’s still ticking!” 0;-/====JACK:  I took my watch to a watchmaker, and he told me that it's stopped clicking for good.  I'm still saving it, in case I decide to get a 2nd opinion.====REV:   I've got a couple like that . . . One was awarded me when I bowled a 298 score in bowling. Trophies for recalling the memories when wearing them.
FROM HONEST JOHN:  Augustine said that he knew what time was but don't ask him to define it.   We not only live within time...it lives within us.    In the next world my understanding is that time is a non-factor.    There is no yesterday nor tomorrow.  So, of course, today also becomes an irrelevant term.    Impossible even to imagine.====JACK:  Is there a difference between everlasting and eternal?  Everlasting seems time-related.  Which will it be for you....Life eternal, or Life-everlasting?  Unending time seems boring to those of us who use calendars and clocks.====JOHN:  I think we are talking about timelessness.   Impossible to even think about.
FROM MY LAWYER:  My first watch was a Mickey Mouse watch.  Oh, how I wish I still had it!  Probably worth a fortune.  It kept good time too.====JACK:  Back when you wore the Mickey Mouse watch, Shinola was just making shoe polish.  Now, you're wearing an elegant Shinola watch.  Time pieces change.
FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I like this.  In 2004 when I was finishing Good Debt, Bad Debt, in the chapter about the past I wrote, “Use your past as a reference, not a place to live.”  I have seen so many people that live in the past, dwelling on one thing they think would have changed their life.  On the watch issue, I haven’t worn a watch since 1985 or 1987 when cell phones (very portable ones)came out.  Deleting the watch was one more way to make sure I didn’t forget my phone, and the phone always had the time on it.  Have a great day sir. ====JACK:  Isn't it interesting?  Twice a year we give up, or gain an hour, and after a day or so, it doesn't seem to matter.  I we gave up an hour a day for 24 days straight, would we have gained a day in our life...or lost one?  ====JON:  It is. I suppose you can only gain depending on what you do or don't do, with the supposed hour.
FROM RI IN BOSTON:  My first wristwatch was a prize I won as the top-selling salesman in our high school magazine sales contest.  I don't know what happened to it years later.  These days, I don't use a wristwatch anymore.  When I need the time I go to my cellphone, or I look for a passer-by who has a wristwatch, and I ask him the time.  (I just used some of my valuable time to give you this report, but you give me so much of your time that I feel I owe you.)====JACK:  I wear my watch to church in order to time the sermon.  It's about the same length each week.  My home pastor used to be called "20 Minute Tillberg," because he preached sermons that were always 20 minutes long.  Today's are about half that.  A local minister once held the Guinness Record for the longest sermon.  It lasted over a day.

No comments: