Thursday, May 07, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 5/7/15
“I have a simple philosophy.  Fill what’s empty, empty what’s full, and scratch where it itches.”  (Alice Roosevelt Longworth)  Alice, Teddy Roosevelt’s daughter, was born with his feistiness and desire to be a rule-breaker.  Both craved attention.  “My father wanted to be the bride at every wedding and the corpse at every funeral.”  Both had a desire to change the conventional for the better.  What are of some of your inherited characteristics?    ;-)  Jack

  FROM TARMART REV:  ...hopefully to brighten one's day...to be the "bride at every wedding" looks inviting..."the corpse at every funeral"-- I'd have to keep my mouth shut!! 0;-/====JACK:  ...and don't be afraid to itch when and where it scratches, even in the pulpit.
Abraham Lincoln said,   “I don't like to hear cut and dried sermons. No—when I hear a man preach, I like to see him act as if he were fighting bees.”

FROM COPPER COUNTRY BOB:  In view of your quotes I pass on what a pastor told me yesterday.  There is a book about Teddy which is titled  TRAITOR TO CLASS which he highly recommends. According to him this book articulates the basis, philosophy and struggle Teddy had in turning the nation to justice.  I haven’t bought it yet.  But plan to.====JACK:  I found the PBS documentary of the Roosevelts to be enlightening and fascinating.  We are, how we were brought up...and some genes added to the mixture.  Isn't it true with you?  It is with me.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  HA! I LOVE THE QUOTE ABOUT BEING THE BRIDE AND THE CORPSE!! I THINK TEDDY REALLY RUED HIS DECLARATION THAT HE WOULD NOT RUN FOR ANOTHER TERM, AND THEN HAD TO ABIDE BY IT, IN ORDER FOR TAFT TO HAVE HIS CHANCE FOR THE PRESIDENCY. IN A BOOK I RECENTLY READ ABOUT T.ROOSEVELT AND TAFT, (CAN'T REMEMBER THE TITLE,) HE EXPRESSES, "I'D GIVE MY GOOD RIGHT ARM, IF I HAD NOT SAID THAT!"   I THINK IT WAS A REAL WRENCH FOR ALICE, WHEN TEDDY TOOK HER FROM HIS SISTER AFTER FOUR YEARS, WHOM SHE LOVED AS A MOTHER ( ALICE'S MOTHER DIED HAVING HER) AND TRIED TO MAKE HER A PART OF HIS SECOND FAMILY.  SHE FELT SHE NEVER FIT IN, AND WAS  REBELLIOUS ALL HER LIFE! QUITE A COLORFUL CHARACTER, ANYWAY! :-)  I DON'T KNOW ABOUT "INHERITED" CHARACTERISTICS, BUT BOTH MY SISTER AND I CAME TO LOVE THE LIMELIGHT, BEING IDENTICAL TWINS; ALWAYS DRESSED ALIKE, WHICH BROUGHT US ATTENTION....! WE LOVED TO LEAD....GOOD OR BAD?!====JACK:  You are who you are...and what's wrong with that?  Your children probably have characteristics from both father and mother, with some salt and pepper independence.  When did you and your sister stop dressing alike...or did you ever?




No comments: