Monday, March 09, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 3/9/15
 “I am a scientist who believes in God.  My heart directs my faith; my brain directs my science.  They never compete.”  (Erin D)  Erin is one of 5 archeologists who recently discovered a fossil, dating the dawn of humankind back to almost 3 million years ago.  Erin was a member of a church I once served.  I’m glad to know a scientist who believes that faith and science can co-exist.  You don’t have to park your brain with the car when come into church.    ;-)  Jack

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  most scientists do... because they see intelligent design in their work. ====JACK:  "Religion and Science" have a history of being at odds with each other...Copernicus, Galileo, Darwin, Monkey Trial, etc.  Erin is an example of how thinking people can be "both/and."
====LIZ:  was darwin an atheist? or did he just figure out some of god's science?  it is not "either/or." if one believes the bible literally, there can be no science. bible is allegorical, imho. which does not make it any less important.  off to work.====JACK:  "Atheist" is a label.  It means different things to different people.  To me, Darwin was a seeker after answers.  He may have responded negatively to some of the religion of his day, but I hesitate to "tag" him...except for "seeker."  Literalism is not only a problem when it comes to religion, it's a basic communications problem.  I've tried to explain that to you a thousand times.

FROM MM IN FLORIDA:  Very nice and informational. Thank you for these Winning Words.  How old is Erin and is she related to a Baseball a past Baseball player.====JACK:  I don't know her exact age, but I would say that she is one of the "new breed" of archeologists...and I seem to recall that she's a shirt-tail relative of Joe D.

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Science and Faith aren't mutually exclusive. This is true even if your "faith" is completely in science. The realms of the world, matter, time and space can be described and understood through scientific inquiry and expression. The realms of Life, Soul, Spirit, Breath (terms used to describe Psyche) exist where science cannot reach. What's the problem?==== JACK:  The "problem" is the response(s) which see the search for fossils as an attack on religion.====RAY:  I'm left with the same question...with a rephrasing...how does the existence of a fossil attack theology (or what some might call religion)?====JACK:  Don't ask me.  Scientific exploration is not a problem with me, although there may be some ethical questions which arise.

FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  Agree.====JACK:  One of my all-time favorite quotes is this one: 
"Though man a thinking being is defined, Few use the grand prerogative of mind. How few think justly of the thinking few! How many never think, who think they do!"  (Jane Taylor)

FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  Nice====JACK:  She's a nice person, too.

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  Thanks for the inspiration.====JACK:  I believe that the Spirit of God is active in many of the things we do...archeological digs and commenting on them, too.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Well, as far as I'm concerned, God is a scientist. "Scientists" discover things, but who put them there? ====JACK:  "What's it all about, Alfie?"  We're all trying to figure things out.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Love this quote. You've probably read "THE LANGUAGE OF GOD" by Francis S. Collins, the brilliant scientist who discovered DNA, the heredity code of life, (with his team of scientists). It is a fascinating and clearly written book for a general audience about Faith and Science. A powerful confession of Belief!!  I wish everyone could read and assimilate his book!! ====JACK:  I think that we each find our comfort zone when it comes to the compatibility of science and religion.  No matter where that might be, we have to guard against believing that we have all of the correct answers.  As Michelangelo said (when he was 87): "Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning).

2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Science and Faith aren't mutually exclusive. This is true even if your "faith" is completely in science. The realms of the world, matter, time and space can be described and understood through sciencitific inquiry and expression. The realms of Life, Soul, Spirit, Breath (terms used to describe Psyche) exist where science cannot reach. What's the problem?

Ray Gage said...

I'm left with the same question...with a rephrasing...how does the existence of a fossil attack theology (or what some might call religion)?