Monday, February 02, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 2/2/15
“Winning isn’t everything, Charlie Brown.”  “That’s true, but losing isn’t anything.”  (Linus and Charlie philosophizing)  Vince Lombardi didn’t say, “Winning is the only thing!”  He said, “The will to win is the only thing.”  So much emphasis these days is placed on winning or losing in sports or just in the everyday events of life.  Today’s “Vince” might say, “The main thing is the will to succeed!” …and that can happen in winning and also in losing.   ;-)  Jack

 ROM MICHIZONA RAY:  True enough! One might even say that "winning" doesn't teach one nearly as much as losing does. I like the idea of "playing to win" because that is a part of the very game; just as "one winner" is also a part of the game.====JACK:  Winning is so important that sports like hockey and football are using tie-breakers.  No more "kissing your sister."

FROM HJONEST JOHN:  I play to win.   If I lose, I don't commit Hari Kari.    Why play to lose? ====JACK:  In playing competitively, do you know when to "fold 'em?"  In other words, do you know when to play just for the fun of it?  ...when the score is no longer important?

 ====JOHN:  When playing competitively, I never give up.    I do, however, play a lot of games "just for fun."    The key is "Why am I playing this?"====JACK:  I'm trying to think of games that  play just for fun.

FROM TARMART REV:  That's a true "Winning Word" for my day, Jack!!====JACK:  I'll bet that you are a bowler who throws the ball so hard that the pins really explode when they are hit.  There are some "nice" guys who have a hidden aggressive persona.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I IMAGINE THE SEAHAWKS CAN IDENTIFY WITH THIS WW TODAY! WHAT A DYNAMIC SUPER BOWL!! AND FOR ALL THE MYRIAD AWARD "LOSERS" IN THE NEWS, ETC.  I READ A RECENT QUOTE OF DENZIL WASHINGTON, "I PRAY THAT YOU ALL PUT YOUR SHOES WAY UNDER THE BED AT NIGHT, SO YOU GOTTA GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEES IN THE MORNING TO FIND THEM. AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE, THANK GOD FOR GRACE AND MERCY AND  UNDERSTANDING." (To a group of young acting students.)  Love it! My IL Hall of FaMe Football and wrestling coach son used to emphasize the same idea: "Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win, is!"  The desire and passion has to be there to be successful.  My own family is very competitive playing our many card and board games!!  But only in FUN!=====JACK:  I enjoy playing Old Maid.  I like the competition of seeing who's best at hiding the card that has the Old Maid on it.  In this politically correct world, I'm surprised that no one has wanted to ban that old game.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Speaking of Lombardi, he NEVER would have made that stupid last play call yesterday. Geeez! Even Gisela marveled at that.  I wonder what that call cost the Seahawk players in salaries and endorsements, let alone the owners and the gamblers.====JACK:  I'm glad that I didn't have a favorite in that game.  I could just enjoy it for the game itself.  A secondary joy was in seeing some loud-mouth players being humbled.  In "your day" did the players strut around and beat on their chests after making the plays that they were supposed to make?  I hope that you didn't do it.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  "life is not a competition."  said to my children from my mouth a bazillion times as they were growing up.====JACK:  "He who has ears to hear, let him hear," it says in the Bible.  You spoke (a bazillion times).  Did they hear?====MARY:  well, they are my kids, so maybe they heard 75% of the bazillion.  i fear the rest of the time i sounded like charlie brown's teacher!====JACK:  Charlie's teacher has a great voice.  So descriptive!  I always enjoyed the kids of the church...and teaching confirmation classes.  I also enjoyed being a parent.

FROM JK IN CALIFORNIA:  Nice! I like this as my kids are great students, but they are SO bogged down with homework, that it makes it challenging. I always tell them to do their Best!! That's what counts.====JACK:  Parental involvement is one of the keys to "winning" in the education game.

1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

True enough! One might even say that "winning" doesn't teach one nearly as much as losing does. I like the idea of "playing to win" because that is a part of the very game; just as "one winner" is also a part of the game.