Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 2/18/15
“In character, in manner, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity.”  (Longfellow)  Christopher News Notes tells of Susan Vogt and how she challenged herself to get rid of one item each day during Lent.  Not only did she want to live more simply, but she also wanted to donate things to those in need.  It was so successful that she decided to keep on doing it…one day…one item.  What a great idea…giving up “things” for Lent.  Hummm!    ;-)  Jack 

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ;  i like the modern idea of adding something positive during lent... ====JACK:  Right now, I'm beginning to look around to find the first thing I can give up.  How about you?====LIZ:  i am working on what would be the most positive addition to add for lent, in the hopes it will become a habit...====JACK:  I have a Lent Box near my computer.  The first thing in it is a nice, blue windbreaker.LIZ:  to give away?====JACK:  To give away is to give up.  It's one of the 40 things I plan to give up for Lent.====LIZ:  i have decided to decide daily what my sacrifice/good deed will be.  today is my day off, & i am going mall walking w/a talkative ex-coworker/friend because she needs someone to listen====JACK:  What a great way to spend the first day of Lent...to "give up" time to be with someone who needs some of your time.====LIZ:  gisela gave up her hair to "locks of love," where they make free wigs for kids w/cancer.====JACK:  That's an excellent example of giving up something for Lent.  Someone raised her right!

FROM TARMART REV:  I wonder how long it would last if I would challenge myself to give up one item every day? As much as we've accumulated and as much that is stored in boxes not looked at for years, I'm sure I would not live long enough that it could be said, "That's it!!"). 0;-/====JACK:  This is the first day of Lent.  Enough wondering... As Nike advises..."Just Do It!"

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  The more that one can "give up", the less that one can be attached to. "Seek your treasure and you will find your heart there also." Do we treasure the things of the world...the "things" that we treasure; that we cannot "give up"? Or, do we treasure that which we "seek first" (the kingdom of God and his righteousness) so that the "things" find their place in the order of everything (and all these things shall be added unto you)? Maybe we can focus giving up what we treasure that is out of its place. Is this the nature of the Lenten theme?====JACK:  Lent is what you want to make it.  There's nothing in the Bible about it.  The 40-day-period was meant to relate to the 40 days that Jesus spent in the wilderness...it was meant to be a period of preparation for those who were to be baptized on the day before Easter...it was meant to cause us to have a daily reminder of the presence of God.  I like your interpretation.

FROM JB AT LSTC:  Thanks for this suggestion for a Lenten discipline. I hadn’t chosen one yet (and it’s Ash Wednesday!) This will be a good one for me.====JACK:  What captured my attention about this idea is gives an added dimension to Lent.  The focus is so often on self and introspection.  These 40 days can also be a time for extrospection, looking outside of oneself to the plight of others.

FROM DP IN THE TWIN CITIES:  Super idea!====JACK:  I found the idea in an article about Clearing the Clutter in our homes. also in the article was this quote:  "The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak."  (Hans Hofmann)

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Jan and Hal  had a rule that when they got something new, an old item was taken out of the closet and given away....I SHOULD have followed their example....You are right, starting today! But it takes some time, culling what can be discarded. Hard to imagine one a day for the rest of my life!!====JACK:  "One day at a time, Sweet Jesus!"  Any worthwhile endeavor starts out with the first step.  Today is the first step of the rest of your life's journey.

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:   I'm doin it!!! Certainly it will be adhered to...as opposed to some other things that have failed. And it will give me the opportunity to select judiciously those items that WILL be of use to someone else. The thought gives me a good feeling which, I know, will be experienced each day/selection. Thanks.====JACK:  I put something in my Lent Box and then I thought...I can use this.  OOPS!  I reminded myself of the point of the box.

FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  http://nourishingminimalism.com/2014/12/2015-in-2015-decluttering-challenge.html (get rid of 2015 things in 2015)  I'm going for 2015. I'm over 500 already. I'm going to know the guys at our local Salvation Army store by name come Christmas!
For Lent I'm going to try taking on a good habit. This year (again), daily Bible reading.====JACK:  Whoa!  My challenge is to "give up" 40 in 40.  2015 is out of my league.  Do recall the Bible edition that was divided into 365 parts, so it could be read in one year?  Copies were made available for the church members.  In fact, I still have a copy on my bookshelf.  Oh, there it is!  It's the Living Bible translation, so it's easy to read.====LBP:  How about you? Any habits to break/take for lent? ====JACK:  That's a good idea.  Maybe by Eastertime I'll have my desk cleared off...if I take up the habit of neatness.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  What a wonderful idea!  We are definitely going to follow her example! Thanks for these good words.====JACK:  How about that?...New Year's resolutions get a second chance with the beginning of Lent.
  

 

 

2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

The more that one can "give up", the less that one can be attached to. "Seek your treasure and you will find your heart there also." Do we treasure the things of the world...the "things" that we treasure; that we cannot "give up"? Or, do we treasure that which we "seek first" (the kingdom of God and his righteousness) so that the "things" find their place in the order of everything (and all these things shall be added unto you)? Maybe we can focus giving up what we treasure that is out of its place. Is this the nature of the Lenten theme?

SJP said...

I'm doin i1!!! Certainly it will be adhered to...as opposed to some other things that have failed. And it will give me the opportunity to select judiciously those items that WILL be of use to someone else. The thought gives me a good feeling which, I know, will be experienced each day/selection. Thanks.