Thursday, January 08, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 1/8/15
“May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose.”  (Little Jimmy Dickens)  Jimmy Dickens died last week.  Thru the gift of YouTube I can still hear some of his songs, like the Bird of Paradise.  The B of P, found in New Guinea, is one of the most beautiful of all birds, the kind that you might expect to see in Heaven (Paradise).  Little (4’ 11”) Jimmy was a big hit and brought laughter when he sang for the troops in Vietnam.  I smile when I remember him.     ;-)  Jack

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  It's been years since I heard him! What fun!====JACK:  "Sleepin' at the Foot of the Bed" is another of his songs...with the line, "Cold toenails scatchin' your back."

FROM TARMART REV:  He was definitely a part of The Grand Ole Opry's uniqueness!! ====JACK:  Minnie Pearl, Cousin Oswald, The Carter Family, Roy Acuff and on and on.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  My bird of paradise is a beautiful plant out side my back door.  I am not familiar with the song.  It is cold in Tampa today=37 degrees.====JACK:  I once went to the funeral of a florist and the only flowers there were many, many Birds of Paradise.  Impressive.  YouTube the song.  37 degrees would be summer up north.

FROM IRMA J:  I saw Little Jimmy Dickens years ago at the county fair in Merrill.====JACK:  I'll be he sang the Bird of Paradise song, too.

FROM TRIHARDER:  I'm pretty sure that he took that phrase from Johnny Carson who originally stated it as "Carnak the Magnificent"  I used to watch every night -- even though I had school the next morning.====JACK:  It might have happened that way, or the other way around, or perhaps someone else originated the phrase.  Nevertheless, the thought amuses me.====TH:  Robin Williams was talking about the genesis of humor on Lipton's "Actor's Studio". He responds with his lightning wit,
Well, look at what our studies have shown. As we see the historical roots of comedy we see several Cro-Magnons looking at a group of Neanderthals saying: "How many Neanderthals does it take to light a fire? "The answer is: "None, they don't have it."====JACK:  I thought that the punch line was going to be..."Stop!  I 've heard that one before."
 

FROM CK IN  MICHIGAN:  My dad had a friend named Jimmy Dickens when I was young. Thnx for the memory!====JACK:  I was not always an obedient child when growing up.  Sometimes my mother would say to me..."You little dickens."

No comments: