Monday, January 12, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 1/12/15
“The animals have no choice.  They cannot be anything but themselves.”  (G.K. Chesterton)  One of my Christmas gifts was a children’s book of Aesop’s Fables.  In the preface it was noted that Aesop attached human characteristics to animals in order to make a moral point that we could understand.  We don’t know that animals are moral or amoral, but the nature of the fox,  crow, mouse can be used in a fable to get an idea across.  Do you have a fav-fable?    ;-)  Jack

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  On that theme:  The early bird may get the worm,but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...mmm===JACK:  On that theme...Where did the expression "Cheese it," come from?  Or, the comment that something is "Cheesy?

FROM TARMART REV:  'Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby'====JACK:  That could be a good internet nickname for you.  Instead of TARMART REV, it could be TARBABY REV.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  My favorite has always been "The Ant and the Grasshopper".  That has influenced me over the years.  More recently the lesson taught in the fable has been expressed with two words on desk signs..."Plan Ahead".====JACK:  An animal's IRA.

FROM TRIHARDER:  When the albino tiger attacked the magician, Roy of Siegfried and Roy, it was said the Tiger went crazy. Chris Rock did a routine on it.  "The tiger didn't go crazy, the tiger went tiger."===JACK:  Your response causes me to think of the phrase..."They did everything humanly possibly," which leads me to the thought..."They did everything humanely possible."  My father-in-law often used to say, "We are who we are."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Al these years I thought that the book that my mother kept on her coffee table was Aesop's Fables. I just went to get it and it is a well worn Child Story Reader which contains no Aesop, but it does have many others such as the Mouse Wedding and the Onion Thief.  My favorite Aesop is the Tortoise and the Hare.====JACK:  I suppose "This Little Piggie" could be considered a fable.

No comments: