Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 12/16/14
“The darkness of the whole world cannot swallow the glowing of a candle.”  (Robert Altinger)  Tonight my Jewish friends are celebrating Hanukkah.  What they are celebrating is the belief that G-d can perform miracles.  With G-d, the impossible becomes possible.  Christians celebrate the same thing with Christmas.  Miracles say:  “G-d is present.”  The point is not to question the “how”, but to sense the “why”, of the miraculous.    ;-)  Jack  

FROM GP IN MICHIGAN:   As usual, I am missing something in everyday life   -  Why G-d?====JACK:  Some of my friends belong to a Jewish tradition where they consider God to be so holy that it would be idolatrous even to write out the name, so they write G-d, to keep true to the tradition.  From time to time I also use G-d in order to show respect for my friends.

FROM CL IN SANTA BARBARA:  Jack, Merry Christmas! Why are you using G-d?====JACK:  In this current day when the name of the Lord is often used so casually..."O my God"..."God this and God that," I respect those of my Jewish friends who consider the Lord's name to be so holy that they won't even spell it out, using G-d instead.  On this day when Hanukkah begins, I have chosen to use "G-d" to honor those who continue to keep from using the Lord's name in vain.  We can learn from others to enhance our own beliefs.  To have a holiday to celebrate one of God's miracles, to me, is a worthy tradition.

FROM RB IN MICHIGAN:  The "why", we all define as G-d's Love for all mankind!  May today be filled with His love for you, Amen  Even my mother agrees (as follows)  Yes, Amen -- Isn't it a blessing that we know that G-d Loves Us in spite of us.  It is not for me to ask 'why' , but to just 'believe' that He does!  Thank you -- I'm feeling His love right now!  Amen====JACK:  We're never too old to learn (or be reaffirmed) from our moms.  As the carol goes: "Love came down at Christmas."

FROM PAUL IN ST. PAUL:  happy Hanukkah to you, Jack.====JACK:  The Jews sometimes have the same problem with their holiday as we have with Christmas....forgetting the reason for the season.

 FROM JB IN OLV:  That candle light sometimes is so faint, that it is engulfed by the workings of madmen that kill little children while they study in other parts of the world-Pakistan.   Where are you Lord in all this madness?====JACK:  Yes, the line in Heaven where people stand to ask God questions is going to be a long one.  God took a risk when he gave people free will.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  What  wonderfully beautiful statement!  God is the light of this world and all the terrible things we hear about and read about can't put out His light. HAPPY HANUKKAH TO YOUR FRIENDS!====JACK:  I'll have to ask my friends if they've ever sung, "This little light of mine."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Ah Yes, "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine"....It is amazing what one candle will light up, when the electricity; goes out!  I assume you are using the G_D because devout Jews will  not spell or say the word God, (Yahweh).  My students used to love the lively music of Hanukkah!  We honor God in our Holy Holiday traditions, either Christian or Jewish! It's nice that you  commemorate that!====JACK:  I like the story behind the Hanukkah tradition.  We can learn from each other.

FROM DMF IN MINNESOTA:  You prompted me to google “G-d”.====JACK:  Sometimes an action is designed to cause a reaction.  I think it's interesting to explore ways that people interpret God.

No comments: